Reviewing Kinematics for AP Physics Exams: When to Subtract Gravity?

In summary: There are three forces: gravity, thrust, and drag. Gravity is the only force acting on the rocket at launch. Thrust is the force that is generated by the engine to overcome the force of gravity. Drag is the force that is exerted on the rocket by the air around it.
belledona
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
Hello, I'm reviewing kinematics for an upcoming AP physics exam, but I seem to have forgotten a crucial fact. In typical rocket problems (when the rocket blasts off with an initial acceleration for example 5 m/s^2), why don't we subtract 9.8 from 5m/s^2 when using a value for acceleration? When do we know to subtract gravity from an upwards acceleration, or to just simply use the value given for the upwards accel w/o subtracting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 5 m/s2 is the acceleration upwards, and this should become clear from the way the value is given. If you want to find the thrust or forces acting on the rocket, you'll have to take into account that the rocket has to fight against gravity.

Likes belledona
The value of 5 m/s2 describes the actual motion of the missile. If gravity is the ONLY force acting on an object, then it will accelerate toward the Earth at 9.8 m/s2.

So when it sits on the launchpad, gravity pulls down with a force, but the ground pushes back with the same exact force, resulting in zero acceleration. When the rocket ignites and exhaust exits the engine, the rocket accelerates upward.

Knowing the actual acceleration of 5 m/s2, can you calculate the amount of thrust necessary to maintain that acceleration? (remember that in F=ma, F is the vector sum of all forces acting on an object).

Likes belledona
mfb said:
The 5 m/s2 is the acceleration upwards, and this should become clear from the way the value is given. If you want to find the thrust or forces acting on the rocket, you'll have to take into account that the rocket has to fight against gravity.

Oh, so the net acceleration is 5 m/s^2? (As in, the rocket has already overpowered gravity, so 9.8 does not need to be subtracted from 5?)

scottdave said:
The value of 5 m/s2 describes the actual motion of the missile. If gravity is the ONLY force acting on an object, then it will accelerate toward the Earth at 9.8 m/s2.

So when it sits on the launchpad, gravity pulls down with a force, but the ground pushes back with the same exact force, resulting in zero acceleration. When the rocket ignites and exhaust exits the engine, the rocket accelerates upward.

Knowing the actual acceleration of 5 m/s2, can you calculate the amount of thrust necessary to maintain that acceleration? (remember that in F=ma, F is the vector sum of all forces acting on an object).

So the thrust will be F=5*mass of the rocket?

If you were to subtract 9.8 from 5 you would get a negative number. Perhaps get into the habit of thinking about what the answer means. Eg What would a negative acceleration actually mean? Is it likely a rocket taking off would have a negative acceleration?

Likes belledona
belledona said:
So the thrust will be F=5*mass of the rocket?
Let me rephrase that. If acceleration = (net force) / (mass). Net force is vector sum of all forces acting on it. What forces are there and what are the directions?

Likes belledona

Related to Reviewing Kinematics for AP Physics Exams: When to Subtract Gravity?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. Why is it important to review kinematics for AP Physics exams?

Kinematics is a fundamental concept in physics and is heavily tested on AP Physics exams. Reviewing kinematics will help you understand the basic principles of motion and prepare you for the exam.

3. When do I need to subtract gravity in kinematics problems?

You need to subtract gravity when solving for the horizontal or vertical components of motion separately. This is because gravity only affects the vertical motion of an object.

4. Can I use the equations of motion to solve all kinematics problems?

No, the equations of motion can only be used for objects moving with constant acceleration. If the acceleration is not constant, you will need to use other kinematics equations or apply calculus.

5. How can I improve my understanding of kinematics for the AP Physics exam?

Practice is key when it comes to understanding kinematics. Make sure to solve a variety of problems and familiarize yourself with all the equations and concepts. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with a particular topic.