Suggesions on tablets for use in physics classroom

In summary, the school in which I teach is going to pilot a tablet for each student in a class next year. My physics class is going to be part of this pilot. Currently they are looking at ipad/surface/chromebook. Does anyone have input good or bad on any of these for use in class as well as with labs? Thanks for any input you can provide.
scirun
The school in which I teach is going to pilot a tablet for each student in a class next year. My physics class is going to be part of this pilot. Currently they are looking at ipad/surface/chromebook. Does anyone have input good or bad on any of these for use in class as well as with labs? Thanks for any input you can provide.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

My first choice would be the iPad as the apps are superior right now to any android apps.

If physics simulations are going to be run on them there are a few apps that come to mind:
- Codea for programming on the iPad in Lua
- Pythonista for programming in python on the iPad
- PocketCAS for symbolic and graphical calculations.

Other useful apps are:
- Notability for recording lectures while taking notes, drawing sketches, reading and annotating pdfs,
incorporating photos and other media into a notebook, exporting as pdf
- iThoughts for creating mind maps (graphical outlines of any detail) good for organizing thoughts and ideas
- AZUL for downloading videos to watch from youtube and other sites...
- Garageband for creating music...
- Apple's Pages, Numbers and Keynote for word processing, spreadsheets and presentations
- MS has an offering here too for Office

For an Android you could consider:
- AIDE for writing android apps on the android tablet
- MS Office

For either one Unity Game Engine:
- can develop programs that run on either iPad or Android
- great for training simulations...
- paid version works with Oculus Rift too...

iPad is still king with Galaxy close behind. Stay away from Surface.

If you mean the Windows 8-RT Surface, I agree.
If you mean the Windows 8 (not RT) Surface Pro, I disagree.

Among the iPad, Chromebook, and Surface-Pro, the Surface-Pro is the most powerful since it runs Windows.
The iPad might have a lot of cool apps... by Windows has many more applications.

Serious computational tools like Matlab, Mathematica, Maple, LabView, etc... likely don't run on Chromebook or iPad.
Yes, they can all access Wolfram Alpha for a quick calculation... but that's a far cry from M,M, and M.

For Physics labs, Vernier and PASCO might have some apps that run on an iPad... but they are mainly Windows- and Mac-based.

Numerous Java applets and Flash-based simulations (like http://phet.colorado.edu/ and http://webphysics.davidson.edu/applets/applets.html ) don't run on the iPad. (Some PhETs are now available as HTML5 https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/html and can run on iOS.)

The Surface-Pro and its stylus provides the only truly digital-ink-based platform among them... high-resolution, pressure-sensitivity, and digital-ink.
(Writing on my iPad (compared to my tabletPC [like the Surface-Pro]) looks like writing with crayon (compared to like writing with a pen).)

My iPad and iPhone are great for media consumption, navigation, quick searches on the web, and watching lectures while on the move.
However, for production (doing handwritten calculations [and archiving and editing and re-editing them], writing papers, writing code, analyzing data, annotating and organizing papers) my tabletPC [like the Surface-Pro] is my main device.

Granted, the Surface-Pro is the most pricey of the three... but it's not that much more.
If I didn't have my current tabletPCs [Fujitsu and Samsung], I'd be looking at the Surface-Pro or a Lenovo.

My undergrad research student uses a Chromebook... which might be good for many things he does.
However, when he had to write computer programs in Python (using http://vpython.org/) for a physics project with me,
he had to work on a desktop or on his friend's Windows-based laptop. I'm suggesting that he get a Surface Pro.
(Seems like a deal may be coming soon: http://www.winbeta.org/news/black-f...offer-150-surface-pro-3-128gb-model-or-higher )

Last edited:

I believe that incorporating technology into the classroom can be a valuable tool for enhancing students' learning experiences. In terms of tablets, each option (iPad, Surface, and Chromebook) has its own unique features and capabilities that can be useful in a physics classroom.

The iPad, for example, has a variety of physics-related apps that can help students visualize concepts and conduct simulations. The Surface, with its detachable keyboard and stylus, may be more suitable for taking notes and solving equations. The Chromebook, on the other hand, is a more affordable option and can still provide access to online resources and educational apps.

When considering the use of tablets in a physics classroom, it is important to also consider the type of labs and experiments that will be conducted. Some tablets may have better compatibility with certain lab equipment or software, so it would be beneficial to research and test out these capabilities before making a decision.

It is also important to consider the potential distractions that come with using tablets in the classroom. Setting clear guidelines and expectations for tablet use during class time can help minimize these distractions and ensure that students are using the devices for educational purposes.

Overall, each tablet option has its own advantages and disadvantages, and it ultimately depends on the specific needs and goals of the physics class. I would recommend working closely with the school's technology department and conducting a trial period to determine which tablet would be the most suitable for your physics classroom.

What are the best tablets for use in a physics classroom?

The best tablets for use in a physics classroom would depend on the specific needs and preferences of the teacher and students. However, some popular options include the iPad, Microsoft Surface, Samsung Galaxy Tab, and Google Pixel Slate. It is important to consider factors such as processing power, storage capacity, and compatibility with relevant physics software.

What features should I look for in a tablet for use in a physics classroom?

When selecting a tablet for use in a physics classroom, it is important to consider features such as a large and high-resolution screen, long battery life, and a stylus for precise note-taking and drawing graphs. Additionally, the tablet should have enough storage space to accommodate physics software and other relevant apps.

Can tablets be used as a replacement for traditional textbooks in a physics classroom?

Yes, tablets can be used as a replacement for traditional textbooks in a physics classroom. With the availability of digital textbooks and educational apps, tablets offer a more interactive and engaging learning experience for students. They also allow for easy access to a wide range of resources and can be updated with the latest information.

How can tablets enhance the learning experience in a physics classroom?

Tablets can enhance the learning experience in a physics classroom by providing access to interactive simulations and visualizations, making it easier for students to understand complex concepts. They also allow for easy note-taking and organization of materials, making it more convenient for students to study and review for exams.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using tablets in a physics classroom?

One potential drawback of using tablets in a physics classroom is the distraction factor. Students may be tempted to use the tablet for non-educational purposes, leading to a decrease in productivity. It is important for teachers to establish guidelines and monitor tablet usage in the classroom. Additionally, tablets may not be suitable for all students, especially those with visual or motor impairments.