Suggestion for cool, interesting experiments

In summary, the speakers are discussing a project where they will conduct and share an experiment with their class in about a week. They are seeking help in finding an interesting experiment that is not too advanced but still has unexpected effects and makes one think. The deadline for coming up with ideas is next Wednesday and any help is appreciated.
niehls
I'm about to do this project in which we will prepare and perform an experiment and then later tell the class about it. All this in about a week. I'm now trying to come up with some interesting experiment to do during this time. I'd really like some help on the subject. I'm looking for an experiment that has cool and unexpected effects and at the same time makes you think. (some action would be nice :) ). I've read about one semester of university physics (classic mechanics, electricity, wave physics / optics, nuclear/atomic physics, special relativity) so it mustn't be too advanced. I'm all open for any ideas. the "coming up with ideas" is due next wednesday, so i'ts no rush. any help is appreciated. I'm sure you know lots of experiments...

Physics news on Phys.org
doesn't anyone have any experiments in stock...?

One idea for a cool and interesting experiment could be to investigate the relationship between temperature and the rate of chemical reactions. This can be done by using simple materials such as baking soda, vinegar, and food coloring.

First, mix equal parts of baking soda and vinegar in a clear container. Observe the reaction and note the time it takes for the mixture to stop bubbling. Next, repeat the experiment with different temperatures of vinegar (e.g. room temperature, warm, cold). Record the time it takes for the reaction to stop at each temperature.

You can also add food coloring to the vinegar to make the reaction more visually appealing. As you increase the temperature of the vinegar, you should see that the reaction happens faster. This is because higher temperatures increase the kinetic energy of the molecules, causing them to collide more frequently and with more force, leading to a faster reaction.

This experiment not only demonstrates the effect of temperature on chemical reactions, but it also allows for some creative variations and can spark discussions about the role of energy in chemical reactions. Good luck with your project!

1. What materials do I need for a cool experiment?

The materials you need will depend on the specific experiment you want to conduct. It's important to carefully read the instructions and gather all necessary materials before starting your experiment. Some common materials for cool experiments include household items like water, food coloring, balloons, and vinegar.

2. How can I make an experiment more interesting?

One way to make an experiment more interesting is to change one variable at a time and observe how it affects the outcome. You can also try conducting the experiment in different conditions or using different materials to see how it affects the results. Additionally, you can try to come up with creative and unique hypotheses to test.

3. Can I conduct experiments at home?

Yes, there are many experiments that can be conducted at home using simple materials. However, it's important to make sure you have adult supervision and follow safety precautions when working with certain materials or conducting experiments that involve heat or chemicals.

4. How do I come up with ideas for cool experiments?

One way to come up with ideas for cool experiments is to think about everyday problems or questions you have and try to find a scientific explanation or solution. You can also try searching for science project ideas online or talking to other scientists for inspiration.

5. What are some cool experiments for kids?

There are many cool experiments that are suitable for kids, such as making a volcano using baking soda and vinegar, creating a homemade lava lamp, or conducting a density tower experiment with different liquids. It's important to choose experiments that are age-appropriate and safe for children to conduct with adult supervision.