Solve Sum Series Questions: Find Interval of Convergence

• Thread starter sweetsurf3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary: You might want to apply the alternating series test. That would involve looking at the absolute value of the ratio of successive terms.
sweetsurf3
infin
1.) Suppose that (6x)/(10+x)= sum C_n(X^(n))
n=o to

Find: (what I got, but was wrong)
C_0= 0
C_1= 6/11
C_2= 1
C_3= 18/13
C_4= 24/14
Find: Radius of convergence R, I got 10.

I've been struggling with setting any sum problem up.

2) Find the interval of convergence for the given power series: n=1
(x-5)^(n)/n(-10)^(n)
The series is convergent from x=___, left end included (Y,N)___
to x=___, right end included (Y,N)___

any info and pointers is GREATLY appreciated, thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
sweetsurf3 said:
infin
1.) Suppose that (6x)/(10+x)= sum C_n(X^(n))
n=o to

Find: (what I got, but was wrong)
C_0= 0
C_1= 6/11
C_2= 1
C_3= 18/13
C_4= 24/14
Find: Radius of convergence R, I got 10.

I've been struggling with setting any sum problem up.

2) Find the interval of convergence for the given power series: n=1
(x-5)^(n)/n(-10)^(n)
The series is convergent from x=___, left end included (Y,N)___
to x=___, right end included (Y,N)___

any info and pointers is GREATLY appreciated, thank you :)
I would notice that 6/(10+ x)= 0.6(1/(1- x/10)) and recognise that as the sum of a geometric sequence: [itex]\Sum_{i= 0}^{\infty} 0.6(x/10)^i[/itex]- which converges as long as |x/10|< 1 or |x|< 10.

Of course, your sum is 6x/(1+ x). Okay, multiply the geometric sum by x: [itex]\Sum{i=0}^{\infty}0.6 x^{i+1}/10^i[/itex]. That won't affect the radius of convergence.

To determine whether the series converges at each of the end points, you might want to see whether the series is "alternating" or not.

What is the purpose of finding the interval of convergence in a sum series?

The interval of convergence in a sum series determines the values for which the series will converge. This information is important for understanding the behavior and convergence of the series.

How do you find the interval of convergence for a given sum series?

To find the interval of convergence, you can use the ratio test or the root test. These tests examine the limit of the ratio or root of consecutive terms in the series to determine if it converges or diverges. The interval of convergence will be the set of values for which the test is satisfied.

What happens if the ratio or root test is inconclusive in determining the interval of convergence?

If the ratio or root test is inconclusive, you can try using other convergence tests such as the alternating series test or the integral test. If none of these tests provide a definitive answer, the interval of convergence may need to be determined through other methods or may not exist.

Can the interval of convergence change for different sum series with the same general form?

Yes, the interval of convergence can vary for different sum series with the same general form. This is due to the specific coefficients and exponents used in each series, which can greatly affect the convergence or divergence of the series.

What are some real-world applications of finding the interval of convergence in a sum series?

The concept of convergence is used extensively in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Finding the interval of convergence in a sum series can help in studying the behavior of physical systems, analyzing financial data, and predicting future trends. It is also a key component in numerical analysis and approximation methods.