Summation with infinity

In summary, the question is asking for the summation of the function sin[(pi)nt] from n=1 to n=infinity. There are different methods that can be used to solve this problem, but the easiest way is either to use trigonometric identities or to write it as Im(∑ einπt). This function is known as a Fourier series and is a significant topic in mathematics.
darkmagic

Homework Statement

what is the summation of a function where n=1 to n=infinity?

For example, given a function sin[(pi)nt].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I asking how I get that
I do not know what should I do

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi darkmagic! :smile:

(have a pi: π and an infinity: ∞ :wink:)
darkmagic said:
what is the summation of a function where n=1 to n=infinity?

For example, given a function sin[(pi)nt].

It's a different method in each case …

just choose the one that seems easiest.

In this case, either sum from n = 1 to N, and use the standard trigonometric identities for (sinA + sinB) etc, or (even easier :wink:) write it as Im(∑ einπt) :smile:

That is a Fourier series which is a huge field of mathematics in itself.

1. What is summation with infinity?

Summation with infinity is a mathematical concept that involves adding an infinite number of terms together. It is also known as an infinite series or an infinite sum.

2. How is summation with infinity calculated?

The calculation of summation with infinity involves finding the limit of a sequence of partial sums, where each partial sum is the sum of a finite number of terms in the series. This limit is the value of the infinite series.

3. What are some common examples of summation with infinity?

Some common examples of summation with infinity include geometric series, harmonic series, and power series. These types of series have specific formulas for calculating their infinite sums.

4. What is the importance of summation with infinity in mathematics?

Summation with infinity is important in mathematics because it allows us to represent and manipulate infinite quantities. It is also used in various fields, such as calculus, physics, and statistics, to solve problems and make predictions.

5. Is it possible to have a finite sum with an infinite number of terms?

No, it is not possible to have a finite sum with an infinite number of terms. This is because as the number of terms increases, the sum also increases without bound, reaching infinity. However, certain infinite series may converge to a finite value, but this is not the same as having a finite sum.