Summer Internships for Physics | UK & Europe

In summary, Pete is looking for summer internships in Physics in the UK or Europe. So far, he has applied for the CERN program and enquired at GCHQ. He enjoys subjects like electro/magnetostatics, electrodynamics, plasma physics, and geophysics. Suggestions for internships include electric power systems at companies like ABB and Alstom, plasma physics research programs like ITER in France, and geophysics internships in Norway or Scotland with petroleum companies. It is recommended to be open to all opportunities and to share updates on internship experiences.
peterjaybee
Hello,

I am looking for summer internships at the moment in the UK or Europe in Physics. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for placements?

So far I have applied for the CERN summer internship program, and enquired at GCHQ.

Many thanks,

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want hands-on-physics? think about what subject area you like the most. Then we I can give some suggestions (pending that it's something remotely applicable).

I don't really know, but the subjects I enjoy the most are probably electro/magnetostatics, electrodynamics and plasma physics. Also geophysics.

Thanks,
Pete

Depending on what year you are in, you get different choices. We can make a little nice bullet list.

Electric Power systems (a lot of Electromagnetic-applications, like distribution).

*ABB
*Alstom
(the only ones I know by heart that have a great deal of business in this area currently).

For plasma physics, I think you should look into the european and international programs that are researching new fusion reactors. I think england got one (if they still run it?), and ITER in france.

For geophysics I would recommend that you go to norway, or maybe scotland. There you have a lot of petroleum companies that certainly would like a intern in geophysics. You will probably help out in surveying the caches of crude oil in the north sea.

Be creative, and even if it's something that you aren't very interested in, just take it anyways. You will get experience, and if it was really boring, you will know.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. Ill check out those companies and see if and when they do internships.

You know that it will be extremely nice if you reconnect with both your findings and how it went for you? just a friendly suggestion. :)

1. What are the benefits of doing a summer internship in physics?

Summer internships in physics can provide several benefits, including hands-on experience in a real research or industry setting, networking opportunities, and the chance to apply theoretical knowledge to practical situations. They can also enhance your resume and improve your chances of getting into a top graduate program or securing a job in the field.

2. How do I find summer internships in physics in the UK and Europe?

There are several ways to find summer internships in physics in the UK and Europe. Some options include checking with your university's career services department, searching online job boards and company websites, networking with professionals in the field, and attending career fairs and conferences.

3. Do I need to have a certain level of education to qualify for a summer internship in physics?

Most summer internships in physics require applicants to have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in physics or a related field. Some may also require knowledge of specific software or programming languages. However, there are also internships available for high school students and recent graduates.

4. Can I receive academic credit for a summer internship in physics?

Many universities offer academic credit for summer internships in physics, especially if they are related to your major or career goals. However, it is best to check with your academic advisor or department to confirm if this is an option and what steps you need to take to receive credit.

5. Are summer internships in physics paid?

Some summer internships in physics offer a stipend or salary, while others may be unpaid. It is important to carefully review the internship description and compensation details before applying. Even if the internship is unpaid, it can still provide valuable experience and networking opportunities.