1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Supermesh analysis w/ dependent sources

1. Feb 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use mesh analysis to find the power delivered by the current-controlled voltage source in the circuit in the Figure: http://i.imgur.com/LUXYFO5.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    1 super mesh equation, 1 source equation, 1 mesh equation, KVL

3. The attempt at a solution
    To start off, I made all of my currents flow counter-clockwise and I labeled them, starting from the bottom left loop, then bottom right, then upper left, then upper right loop as: W, X, Y & Z, respectively.

Next, I drew a super mesh equation around Y and Z (Upper left and upper right). My super mesh equation:

6*Y-X+8*Z=0

Next, I wrote down my source equation:

3=Z-Y

Finally, I did a regular loop around X (Bottom right):

6*X+X+32*(X+W/8)=0 (Note, I added W/8 instead of subtracted because I defined all my currents to go counter-clockwise, except, the current coming from the voltage-controlled current source is going the opposite way, so it would technically be 32*(X-(-W/8)). I'm not sure if this assumption is correct. I think my mistake may be there.

Next, since W is an unknown, I need one more equation. Since W is defined as the voltage drop across the upper left resistor, I wrote the following:

W=6*Y

Now, here I am also unsure whether or not this is correct. Since Y is entering the negative terminal of the resistor, or at least I've defined it to be, would that make W=6*-Y?

So, my two questions are whether W/8 is positive or negative in 6*X+X+32*(X(+/-)W/8) and whether Y should be negative or positive in W=6*(+/-)Y. (As well as my mesh loops, not quite sure I completely have the hang of mesh analysis)

Thanks for all of your help again!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The 6Y is a voltage
    The -X is a current http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon5.gif [Broken]
    The 8Z is a voltage. Why aren't these three terms all voltages?

The dependent voltage source has a gain of 15 volts/ampere. Therefore its voltage is 15X. Correct?

Right.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Feb 18, 2014 #3
    Hey Nascent, that was my error. I don't know why, but I kept ignoring the 15. My equations should be

Supermesh: 6*Y-15*X+8*Z=0
    Source: 3=X-Y
    Voltage-controlled current source: W=6*7
    Bottom right mesh: 6*X+X+32*(X+W/8)=0

Do these look correct?

5. Feb 18, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

i) right
    ii) no, it's 3=Z-Y
    iii) how did you get 6*7
    iv) wrong

W is not a voltage drop; W is a current. (EDIT: you noticed W = -Vx/8 but messed up when trying to use this. You have the right idea, but are making careless mistakes.)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  6. Feb 18, 2014 #5
    Thanks for all your help Oxygen, I just noticed I switched up my loop variables when I redid some of the equations, namely ii), which should be 3=Z-Y
    For iii), that should be W=Y*6
    For iv) 6*X+15*X+32*(X-W/8)=0

Now, why is it 32*(X-W/8) and not plus? I defined my W current to go the opposite direction of X, but since I see the current source, don't I just make W negative? Or should I always just follow my loop direction designation and assume the math will work out in the end? (Just that W will be a negative value?)

When I solve the system, I get the following: (With 32*(X-W/8))
    W=-19.972, X=-1.5079, Y=-3.398, Z=-0.3298

7. Feb 18, 2014 #6
    I think this should be:

6*X+15*X+32*(X-W)=0

The current in the 32Ω resistor is just X-W.

8. Feb 18, 2014 #7

NascentOxygen

Please explain why W = Y*6

9. Feb 18, 2014 #8
    I assume this question is actually directed to rms5643 rather than to me.

10. Feb 18, 2014 #9
    Using Ohm's law V=IR, the voltage drop across the 6 ohm resistor is the current, Y, times the resistance, 6 ohms. I am attempting to use W as Vx in the figure and account for the 1/8 in my X mesh equation since it does not appear anywhere else.

Would it be more appropriate to assign W=(Y*6/8)?

11. Feb 18, 2014 #10

NascentOxygen

It would be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted