Superposition Diagram Reduction

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit and how it was reduced. The question is raised about the second solution and why the 6k resistor is drawn in a different location. After considering the problem, it is realized that the 4k and 12k resistors are in parallel, which can be easily seen by twisting the circuit around. This simplifies the circuit and explains the need for redrawing the branch.
Mesmer
Please click the image to enlarge it

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3605/untitlednu9.th.jpg

I'm having trouble seeing how this circuit was reduced. Can anyone shed some light on it for me?

My question pertains to the second solution in the image. I see that the 12k and 4k resistors are in parallel and that leads to the second diagram on the bottom. Why is the 6k resistor drawn up there? When I try to redraw the circuit, I keep it just like the first one- with the exception that the 12k and 4k resistors are combined on the rightmost branch- with the 6k and the current source in the same place. When the 6V source is shorted out why is there a need to redraw that branch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought about your problem today while at work and realized that the 4K Ohm resistor and the 12K Ohm resistor on the right are in parallel. Look at them, both resistors connect at both ends (directly and through the short): The definition of parallel. Once they are combined in parallel, you can twist the circuit around and get the final result without much effort.

(If you still have trouble seeing it, pull the upper ends of the two resistors until they touch and then yank them over to one side. Keep in mind that the 6K resistor is connected to both ends of the current source and the parallel resistors connected on only one end as is the other 12K. Twist it around. You'll see it.)

(I deleted my original solution because it is too complicated -- this is simplier)

Last edited:

I would like to clarify that the process shown in the diagram is not a reduction, but rather a simplification of the original circuit. This technique is known as superposition, which involves analyzing the circuit by considering one independent source at a time and then combining the individual solutions to obtain the final solution.

In this particular case, the 6V source is shorted out in the second solution, which means that it is not contributing to the circuit. Therefore, it is not necessary to redraw that branch with the 6k resistor and the current source. The 6k resistor is included in the first solution because it is part of the original circuit and contributes to the overall solution.

To further explain, when the 6V source is shorted out, it creates a parallel connection between the 12k and 4k resistors. This results in an equivalent resistance of 3k, which is why the 6k resistor is not included in the second solution.

I hope this clarifies the process for you. Superposition is a useful technique in circuit analysis, but it is important to keep in mind that it is not a reduction or simplification of the circuit, but rather a method of solving it.

What is a Superposition Diagram Reduction?

A Superposition Diagram Reduction is a method used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits. It involves breaking down a larger circuit into smaller, more manageable subcircuits, and then combining them using the principle of superposition.

How does Superposition Diagram Reduction work?

Superposition Diagram Reduction works by considering each source in a circuit individually and finding the corresponding output for that source. The final output is then found by summing the individual outputs from each source together.

What are the benefits of using Superposition Diagram Reduction?

One of the main benefits of using Superposition Diagram Reduction is that it allows for the analysis of complex circuits that would be difficult to solve using traditional methods. It also helps to identify the most important components in a circuit, making it easier to identify potential issues or improvements.

Can Superposition Diagram Reduction be used for all circuits?

No, Superposition Diagram Reduction can only be used for linear circuits. This means that the output is directly proportional to the input, and there are no non-linear components such as diodes or transistors.

Are there any limitations to Superposition Diagram Reduction?

Yes, Superposition Diagram Reduction can only be used for circuits with independent sources. If a circuit has dependent sources, such as a transistor, this method cannot be applied. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state, meaning that all voltages and currents have reached their final values.