Solve Vo Using Superposition Theorem for Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the superposition theorem to find Vo in a circuit. The first equation is solved by arbitrarily choosing the current direction, resulting in a value of -2A. However, the second equation is incorrect because the two currents should be going in the same direction. The correct solution involves halving the 8A source and changing the sign of the final answer to match the voltage orientation across the 2 ohm resistor.
vs55

Homework Statement

Use the superposition theorem to find Vo in the circuit

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i made 8A source 0 so the first equation using KVL becomes:
10i1 = -20
i1 = -2
then making the 20V source 0, the next KVL equation becomes:
i think it's 5i2-8 = 0
i2 = 8/5

i think I'm messing up the second equation with the 20V source as 0...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok i got the answer it but I'm still kind of confused. The first formula stays the same, in the second formula V would just be 8 x 2 = 16 and 16 + (-2 x 2) = 12 which is the answer. My question is for the first formula i chose the current arbitrarily(clockwise), and if i chose it to go the other way i would get the wrong answer. So how do i know what way to make the current flow for KVL?

It looks to me like your second formula is still incorrect. You should keep the two currents going in the same direction. The first current is clockwise (although its easier to keep the signs straight if you go counter-clockwise in this case) so you get -2A as you said. In the second case, you wouldn't have 8A going through the 2ohms.

Remember you have two loops with equal resistances, so your 8A source is going to be cut in half. And since you chose clockwise, you need to change the sign of your final answer so it matches the voltage orientation across the 2 ohm resistor.

Hope that helps.

1. What is the Superposition Theorem for Circuit?

The Superposition Theorem is a method used to solve complex circuits by breaking them down into smaller, simpler circuits. It states that the total current or voltage in a circuit is equal to the sum of the individual currents or voltages caused by each source acting alone, with all other sources turned off.

2. How do you use the Superposition Theorem to solve a circuit?

To use the Superposition Theorem, you must follow these steps:

• 1. Identify all the voltage and current sources in the circuit.
  • 2. Turn off all but one source, and determine the resulting current or voltage in the circuit.
  • 3. Repeat step 2 for each source, with all other sources turned off.
  • 4. Add all the individual currents or voltages to find the total current or voltage in the circuit.

3. What types of circuits can the Superposition Theorem be applied to?

The Superposition Theorem can be applied to any linear circuit, which means that the relationship between voltage and current is constant. It cannot be applied to circuits with nonlinear elements like diodes or transistors.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Superposition Theorem?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using the Superposition Theorem:

• 1. It can only be used for circuits with linear elements.
  • 2. It cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources.
  • 3. It assumes that the sources are ideal and have no internal resistance.
  • 4. It can become very time-consuming for circuits with a large number of sources.

5. Can the Superposition Theorem be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, the Superposition Theorem can be used for both DC and AC circuits, as long as the circuit is linear. However, in AC circuits, you must consider the phase difference between different sources when calculating the total current or voltage.