Calculating Potential at Point Above Uniformly Charged Square of Side 2a

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential at a point distance a directly above the midpoint of one of the sides of a square with side 2a that is uniformly charged with a surface density \rho. The potential is expressed as a numerical multiple of k_e \rho a and can be found by using the formula k \rho \int^a_{-a} \int^a_{-a} \frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-x')^2 + (y-y')^2 + z^2}}dy' dx', where (x,y,z) is the point in question. There is also a mention of finding the potential due to a small rod of length 2a and integrating from a to a
Phymath
a square of side 2a is uniformly charged with a surface density [tex]\rho[/tex]
find the potential at a point distance a directly above the midpoint of one of the sides, express your answer as a numerical multiple of [tex]k_e \rho a[/tex].

wow ok soo... i got this going for me
[tex]
k \rho \int^a_{-a} \int^a_{-a} \frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-x')^2 + (y-y')^2 + z^2}}dy' dx' [/tex] where (x,y,z) is the point simple enough..how do i evaulate this...i know it goes all natural log on me...but damn what do i do then!? suggestions anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the potential at the point due to a small rod of length 2a and then integrate from a to a+2a

how will that be different? other then a change of limits?

Is the solution
2 ln[4+(2)^1/2]* (KP2a)^2 ?

probley not considering it asks for a numerical multiple of kpa...
no solution is given i just have to figure it out

make it easier..sorta what's this?

[tex]
k \rho \int^a_{-a} \int^a_{-a} \frac{1}{\sqrt{(-x')^2 + (-a-y')^2 + a^2}}dy' dx' [/tex]

Last edited:
how come everytime i do one of these no one answers lol...

What is surface charge?

Surface charge refers to the electric charge present on the surface of a material or object. It is a result of the distribution of charged particles on the surface, which can be either positive or negative.

How is surface charge measured?

Surface charge is typically measured using a technique called surface charge density, which calculates the amount of charge per unit area on the surface of a material. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a surface charge sensor or by performing experiments that measure the electrical potential of the surface.

What causes surface charge?

Surface charge can be caused by a variety of factors, including the presence of charged particles, chemical reactions, and physical processes such as friction or contact with other materials. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

How does surface charge affect materials?

Surface charge can have a significant impact on the properties and behavior of materials. For example, it can affect the adhesion of particles to a surface, the stability of colloidal suspensions, and the strength of intermolecular forces. It can also play a role in processes such as corrosion and electroplating.

Can surface charge be manipulated?

Yes, surface charge can be manipulated through various methods such as applying an external electric field, using surface coatings or treatments, and adjusting the chemical composition of the surface. This can be useful in controlling the behavior and properties of materials for specific applications.