How Do You Calculate Electric Potential for a Given Charge Distribution?

In summary: Yes, ##\theta (y' + L) - \theta (y' - L) = 0## in the regions ##y' < -L## and ##y' > L##. So, the integrand is zero in these two regions.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The volume charge density for some charge configuration is given as ## \rho (x,y,z) = \lambda \delta(x) \delta(z) [\theta(y+L)-\theta(y-L)]## where ## \theta(x)## is the step function, defined as ##\theta(x)=1## for x>0 and 0 for x<0.

a) Calculate V(x,y,z), the potential created by this charge distribution at the position (x,y,z), using infinity as the reference point.
b) Let n denote a unit vector in the direction of the electric field created by this charge distribution at the position (x,0,z). Find n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] V(x,y,z) = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho}{r} d \tau[/tex]

Well, from here we plug in our charge distribution. But we note that for this to make sense, x = z = 0 must be the case as the delta functions require this condition. So we observe only (0,y,0).

the 'script' r becomes only y and the derivatives just become dy.

[tex] V(x,y,z) = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac {[\theta(y+L)-\theta(y-L)]} {y} dy [/tex]

I have no idea how to solve this integration. What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to distinguish between the coordinates (x, y, z) of the point where you are finding V and the coordinates (x, y, z) of points within the charge distribution. Often people use primes on the coordinates of the charge distribution. So, you have ##\rho(x', y', z')## and ##d\tau = dx'dy'dz'##.

Likes RJLiberator
Ok, I did that initially. So we get a *somewhat* similar result:

[tex]
V(x,y,z) = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \int \int \frac {[\theta(y+L)-\theta(y-L)]} {(x')+(y-y')+(z')} dx'dy'dz'[/tex]

Where I let x and z equal 0 due to the dirac delta functions.

I have to think that this is the correct integral, but I have no idea how to solve this or what the bounds could possibly be. How is this a linear charge density but over 3 integrations? I originally thought I had to do the x' y' and z' but figured that this must be just in y.

RJLiberator said:
Ok, I did that initially. So we get a *somewhat* similar result:

[tex]
V(x,y,z) = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \int \int \frac {[\theta(y+L)-\theta(y-L)]} {(x')+(y-y')+(z')} dx'dy'dz'[/tex]

Where I let x and z equal 0 due to the dirac delta functions.

Note ## \rho (x',y',z') = \lambda \delta(x') \delta(z') [\theta(y'+L)-\theta(y'-L)]##. Note the primes on the coordinates on the right hand side.

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, that is an error on my part that could lead me to the correct answer.

[tex]
V(x,y,z) = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \int \int \frac {[\theta(y'+L)-\theta(y'-L)]} {(x-x')+(y-y')+(z-z')} dx'dy'dz'[/tex]

After letting x' = 0 and z' = 0 due to the dirac delta functions we get:

[tex]
V(x,y,z) = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \int \int \frac {[\theta(y'+L)-\theta(y'-L)]} {(x)+(y-y')+(z)} dx'dy'dz'[/tex]

Which is nicer, but still does not solve my problem with knowing how to integrate over the step function. The dx' and the dz' become easier to solve, but the dy' is a nuisance.

You are not expressing the distance ##r## correctly.

The delta functions ##\delta(x')## and ##\delta(z')## are used to simplify the integrations over ##x'## and ##z'##. After using the delta functions there will be no integration left over ##x'## or ##z'##.

Likes RJLiberator
Ok, but even so -- when I look at this problem, I don't know how to evaluate the step function in the integral. I see how the dirac delta functions make the integration over x' and z' trivial, but dy' over the step function is a real nuisance. No?

To handle the step functions, consider the value of ##\theta (y' + L) - \theta (y' - L)## for the three regions:

(i) ##\,\,\,y' < -L##
(ii) ##\,\,\,-L < y' < L##
(iii) ##\,\,\,y' > L##

Likes RJLiberator
Okay, that helps out a lot. I've now split the integration up into three regions as stated.

If we observe region I, then we know that the step function turns out to be 0.
In region III, we know the step function is (1-1) = 0 so the function turns out to be 0.
In region II, we are interested in the results.

The problem is that the function results in a value of 0 for both parts. If the teacher did not specify what to do at the part theta(0), can I continue with it?

Yes, ##\theta (y' + L) - \theta (y' - L) = 0## in the regions ##y' < -L## and ##y' > L##. So, the integrand is zero in these two regions.

What is the value of ##\theta (y' + L) - \theta (y' - L) = 0## in the region ##-L < y' < L##?

I'm not understanding this:
RJLiberator said:
The problem is that the function results in a value of 0 for both parts. If the teacher did not specify what to do at the part theta(0), can I continue with it?

Likes RJLiberator
My question is, evaluation ## \theta(0)## seems to be undefined by the given question. How can I proceed? Since hte integration makes L-L in the step function.

You don't need to worry about the the value of ##\theta(x)## at ##x = 0##. When you integrate a piecewise continuous function, such as ##\theta(x)##, the value of the integral does not depend on the value of the function at the point(s) of discontinuity. Whether you define ##\theta(0) = 0##, or ##\theta(0) = 1##, or let ##\theta(0)## be any other finite value, the integral will have the same value. Changing the integrand at only one point of the domain of integration does not affect the integral. ("No area under a point.")

Likes RJLiberator
Hm. Interesting.

So my integration is set up as:

[tex]V(x,y,z) = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\int_{-L}^{L} \frac {[\theta(y'+L)-\theta(y'-L)]} {(x')+(y-y')+(z')}dy'[/tex]

But I'm still stuck solving an integration over this step function. Let's say I take your knowledge from the last post, let's see what I can do with that.

If I say the step function will be "1" somewhere under that curve, then i can say

[tex]V(x,y,z) = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\int_{-L}^{L} \frac {1} {(x')+(y-y')+(z')}dy'[/tex]

Correct? And this is easy to evaluate.

Right. You just need to integrate between ##-L## and ##L## and in this region you can replace ##\theta(y'+L) - \theta (y'-L)## by ##1##. You don't need to worry about the value of the theta functions at ##y' = L## or ##y' = -L##.

But you still don't have the correct expression for the denominator.

Likes RJLiberator
The x and z must leave the denominator leaving just ##\frac{1}{(y-y')}##, correct? But why would this be so?

I understand the step-function idea now over integration, thanks to your help. That was a big issue I had on this problem.

RJLiberator said:
The x' and z' must leave the denominator leaving just ##\frac{1}{(y-y')}##, correct?
No. ##x'## and ##z'## will be gone, but not ##x## and ##z##.

Consider two points in the x-y plane: ##(x_1, y_1)## and ##(x_2, y_2)##. How do you find the distance ##r## between the two points?

Likes RJLiberator
Ah...
I see now.

It needs to be
[tex]\sqrt{x^2+(y-y')^2+z^2}[/tex]

Yes.

Likes RJLiberator
Thank you for the help with this problem.

However, the integral seems to be extremely difficult. How do I work with this thing??

[tex]V(x,y,z) = \frac{\lambda}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}\int_{-L}^{L} \frac {1} {\sqrt{x^2+(y-y')^2+z^2}}dy'[/tex]

Likes RJLiberator

Related to How Do You Calculate Electric Potential for a Given Charge Distribution?

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

While both electric potential and electric field are related to the presence of electric charges, they are different concepts. Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy that a charge would have at a specific point in an electric field, while electric field is a measure of the force that a charge would experience at a specific point in an electric field.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric potential?

The formula for calculating electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential in volts, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), Q is the charge in coulombs, and r is the distance from the charge in meters.

4. How does electric potential affect the movement of charges?

Electric potential affects the movement of charges by creating an electric field. Charges will move from areas of high electric potential to areas of low electric potential. This movement is what creates an electric current.

5. What is the unit for electric potential?

The unit for electric potential is volts (V). However, in some cases, it may also be expressed in other units such as joules per coulomb (J/C) or newtons per coulomb (N/C).