Surface Integral Problem (Answer Already Given)

In summary, the problem is to calculate the flux from the exhaust of a jet engine, which has a linearly varying air gas velocity from 300 m/s at the center of the circular opening to 0 at the edges. Using the formula for flux, the problem can be solved by converting to polar coordinates and setting up a double integral with the correct limits. The final answer is 201.062 meters cubed over second.
McAfee

Homework Statement

The problem is to calculate the flux emanating from the exhaust of a jet engine.

The air gas velocity from a jet engine varies linearly from a maximum of 300 m/s at the center of the circular exhaust opening to zero at the edges. If the exhaust diameter is 1.6 m, find the exhaust flow.

The answer is 201 meters cubed over second

Homework Equations

y=mx +b

The Attempt at a Solution

b=300 m/s at center
x =radius in meters = r
m=slope=0-300/(0.8-0)=-375 cycles/s, 0.8 is radius of circular opening
y=B=-(375*x)+300
m/s

2: Compute Flux, Psi

flux(non-uniform flux denisity) = Double integral B dot dS
dS = surface area of circle=pi*r^2 in this case.
limits are 0-0.8 of both integrands
variable of interest is r. similar to integrating acceleration twice to get position

I know I need to ulimately set up a double integral

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
McAfee said:

Homework Statement

Since it varies linearly I can derive an equation that gives me the flow rate as a function of position.

Homework Equations

y=mx +b

b=300 m/s at center
x =radius in meters = r
y=B=-(375*x)+300
m/s

variable of interest is r. similar to integrating acceleration twice to get position

It would help if you would give a complete statement of the problem. Is this fluid in a circular pipe? What do you know about the flow rate aside from being 300 m/s at the center? Where did the 375 come from? Where did that linear equation come from? Don't make us guess what the problem is.

LCKurtz said:
It would help if you would give a complete statement of the problem. Is this fluid in a circular pipe? What do you know about the flow rate aside from being 300 m/s at the center? Where did the 375 come from? Where did that linear equation come from? Don't make us guess what the problem is.

Sorry about that sir. I just edited the original post.

McAfee said:

Homework Statement

The problem is to calculate the flux emanating from the exhaust of a jet engine.

The air gas velocity from a jet engine varies linearly from a maximum of 300 m/s at the center of the circular exhaust opening to zero at the edges. If the exhaust diameter is 1.6 m, find the exhaust flow.

Homework Equations

y=mx +b

b=300 m/s at center
x =radius in meters = r
y=B=-(375*x)+300
m/s

Let's keep the variable ##r##. I don't know why you would label the units cycles/sec. So you correctly have ##B=-375r+300##

##dS## is not the surface area of the circle. ##dS## represents the differential element of surface area. That would be ##dydx## in rectangular coordinates. But since this is a circular area you need the ##dS## element in polar coordinates.

What is ##dS## in polar coordinates? (Answer that).

Then set up the integral using your formula. Think about the correct limits for the variables. Come back and tell us what you get.

201.062 you mean?

LCKurtz is correct, keep it up, youll get it

Thanks guys. I will work on it later today and I will get back to you guys. Once again thanks

LCKurtz said:
Let's keep the variable ##r##. I don't know why you would label the units cycles/sec. So you correctly have ##B=-375r+300##

##dS## is not the surface area of the circle. ##dS## represents the differential element of surface area. That would be ##dydx## in rectangular coordinates. But since this is a circular area you need the ##dS## element in polar coordinates.

What is ##dS## in polar coordinates? (Answer that).

Then set up the integral using your formula. Think about the correct limits for the variables. Come back and tell us what you get.

Ok I figured it out guys. Thanks to LCKurtz for explaining it to me.

The function I had is correct -375r+300. Since it was a circle it was easier for me to put into circular coordinates. So I had to change from dxdy to r dr dΘ

Whole set-up:
∫∫-375r+300 r dr dΘ from 0 to 0.8 then from 0 to 2π.

Next we can separate the integrals so:
∫1 dΘ from 0 to 2∏ and ∫-375r^2+300r dr from 0 to 0.8

Then rest is easy to solve.

And the final answer is 201.062

1. What is a surface integral problem?

A surface integral problem involves finding the flux of a vector field across a surface. This can be represented mathematically as a double integral over the surface.

2. What is the purpose of solving a surface integral problem?

The purpose of solving a surface integral problem is to calculate the amount of flow or flux of a vector field through a given surface. This can be useful in many areas of science, such as fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.

3. How is a surface integral problem different from a regular integral?

A surface integral problem involves integrating over a two-dimensional surface, while a regular integral involves integrating over a one-dimensional interval. This means that a surface integral problem has an additional variable, the surface parameter, which must be taken into account in the integration process.

4. What are some common applications of surface integral problems?

Surface integral problems are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the flux of electric and magnetic fields, as well as the flow of fluids through surfaces. They are also used in computer graphics and computer vision to calculate surface properties, such as curvature and orientation.

5. How can I approach solving a surface integral problem?

The first step in solving a surface integral problem is to parameterize the surface and determine the limits of integration. Then, the vector field and surface normal vector must be defined. Finally, the double integral can be evaluated using various techniques such as Green's theorem or the divergence theorem.