Swimming pool pressure on bottom drain fittings

In summary, the question is asking about the pressure that the bottom main drain fitting connections see in an above ground swimming pool that is 48 inches deep and 16 feet by 32 feet in width and length. The pressure is a function of depth and the weight of the water, with a 1.5 inch diameter hose experiencing a pressure of 16.4 psi at the bottom of the pool. The external pressure cannot be easily determined and depends on the conditions of the ground in which the pool is set.
rockie12_us
I have a practical question about my new above ground swimming pool that is 48 inches deep and 16 feet by 32 feet in width and length.

My question is, there is a bottom main drain that the water travels through to the filter/pump and is returned through the side return piping.

My question is. What is the pressure that the bottom main drains fitting connections see? Is it ambiant pressure or is it greater due to the weight of the water?

Thanks in advance
Dean-O

Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure is a function of depth. The weight of a 1"x1" column of water 4 feet high is 1.7 lb, so the pessure (absolute) is 14.7+1.7=16.4 psi.

If I understand your question correctly, the objects to which you refer are emersed in the water (no "dry side" to any of them), is this correct? If so, then the pressure Russ gaev you is acting in all directions, and the net force is 0.

But, if you're talking about a tube that comes out of the side fo your pool near the bottom, then the force trying to pop that tube loose is the water pressure at the bottom of the pool (16.4 PSI).

swimming pool drain

The bottom of the 4 foot deep pool has a drain, which connects to a 1.5 in diameter hose. My concern is the amount of force PSI, that this connection would see. The inside wall of the drain and fitting to the 1.5 diameter hose is in water the outside of the drain and the 1.5 hose is in the ground.

My understanding is that the objects are not immersed in water. The internal pressure will be as stated above.

The external pressure can't be easily determined as it depends on the conditions of the ground in which it is set. Normally a trench would be dug, the fitting inserted and it would be back-filled. This then becomes a probelm in granular flow and soil mechanics.

If you make the assumption that the pressure on the outside of the pipe is ambient then that should be OK, provided the depth into the ground does not exceed about a foot.

1. What is the purpose of a bottom drain in a swimming pool?

The bottom drain is designed to remove debris, dirt, and water from the deepest part of the pool. It helps to circulate and filter the water, keeping it clean and clear.

2. How much pressure is typically put on bottom drain fittings in a swimming pool?

The amount of pressure on bottom drain fittings can vary depending on the size and shape of the pool, as well as the speed of the water flow. However, it is generally recommended to have a pressure of around 1-2 pounds per square inch (PSI) on the fittings.

3. Can the pressure on bottom drain fittings cause damage to the pool?

Yes, if the pressure on the bottom drain fittings is too high, it can cause damage to the pool. This can result in cracks or leaks in the pool's structure, which can be costly and time-consuming to repair.

4. How can I reduce the pressure on bottom drain fittings in my swimming pool?

There are a few ways to reduce the pressure on bottom drain fittings. One option is to install a pressure relief valve, which will automatically release excess pressure when it reaches a certain level. Another option is to adjust the pool's water flow and speed to a lower setting.

5. Are there any warning signs of high pressure on bottom drain fittings?

Yes, there are a few warning signs that may indicate high pressure on bottom drain fittings. These include unusually loud noises from the pool's pump or filter, visible leaks or cracks around the fittings, and difficulty maintaining proper water levels in the pool. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to address the issue promptly to prevent further damage.