What's the Velocity at the Highest Point of a Swing?

In summary: No, I don't know specifically what they are looking for. Presumably, they want to know the velocity at the highest point of the swing.
Oliver919
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
So currently I'm stuck in a topic which I don't understand because either my teacher is doing wrong or I'm just blind to see my mistake

I want to know the velocity of a object at the highest point in a swing (looping is the German word, I'm not sure if it's the same in English) (I don't know, plane, bird, superman whatever can do a swing;D)

So far I equated the centrifugalforce and the weightforce

Fz = Fg which I substituded in Fz = Mv^2 / r

mg = mv^2/r which resulted in v = sqrt gr
(mg = mv^2/r (m's cancel out)
g = v^2/r
v = (sqrt(gr))
therefore the minimum speed of the swing must be: v = (sqrt(gr))

I honestly don't know what I did wrong but my teacher keeps telling me I made a mistake and it starts to bother me :D

Does someone realize the mistake or did I do everything correct?

I'm usually the type of guy who just calculates things and normally doesn't scrutinize things, so don't waste your time doing huge physical explanations, I'd be thankful but I can assure you I'm not really going to understand them anyway :D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, by swing, they are referring to the motion of a pendulum. At its highest point it is reversing direction from a very small positive velocity to going the other way, or visa versa. So, assuming it reverses direction, what must the velocity be a precisely the instant it turns around? (Incidentally, a swing is (one definition) a small chair held by two ropes that a child swings back and forth in, like a pendulum. I did a google of swingset in German, and it came up as "Schaukel".)

In this case it is not a pendulum, I can't really find an example... Like it's a military pilot and he's joking around and doing fun stuff then he's looping the loop (is that the correct phrase?) so it doesn't really have to do anything with the velocity given at the instant turnaround

Oliver919 said:
In this case it is not a pendulum, I can't really find an example... Like it's a military pilot and he's joking around and doing fun stuff then he's looping the loop (is that the correct phrase?) so it doesn't really have to do anything with the velocity given at the instant turnaround
That's called a loop, but in that case there is no precise answer. In that case as long as his centripetal acceleration at the top of the arc is greater than or equal to g, the passenger won't fall out of their seat when they are upside down. I think they might simply be looking for the answer ## v=0 ## at the highest point in a pendulum.

Yes that's what I thought too (In that case as long as his centripetal acceleration at the top of the arc is greater than or equal to g, the passenger won't fall out of their seat.) because Fz has to be greater or the same as Fg but to calculate the needed velocity for DOING this loop (and here I realize my writing mistake, sorry for that!) and not just to accomplish the loop (because then v = 0 at highest point would be correct, obviously) and thus I ask if my formula is correct for the wanted calculation

To be honest, I don't know if I can state my problem properly I hope you understand what I'm asking for since there has to be a way to calculate the needed velocity

Oliver919 said:
Yes that's what I thought too (In that case as long as his centripetal acceleration at the top of the arc is greater than or equal to g, the passenger won't fall out of their seat.) because Fz has to be greater or the same as Fg but to calculate the needed velocity for DOING this loop (and here I realize my writing mistake, sorry for that!) and not just to accomplish the loop (because then v = 0 at highest point would be correct, obviously) and thus I ask if my formula is correct for the wanted calculation
In doing a loop, the vertical v is zero at this point, but the horizontal v can be quite large, making for a large ## a=v^2/r ##.

Okey, I got that but what do I calculate with this: v = (sqrt(gr)) ? And there comes my other question to your formula: a = v^2/r, well I have to calculate a for my v because that's not given, so that doesn't really help, does it?

I equated Fz and Fg but for which purpose, do you know that?

Oliver919 said:
Okey, I got that but what do I calculate with this: v = (sqrt(gr)) ?

I equated Fz and Fg but for which purpose, do you know that?
By adjusting the flaps (how fast the airplane turns), or even in an amusement park ride, there is no requirement that the force is exactly zero between the passenger and the seat at the top of the arc. If you have the ## a=v^2/r ## larger than g, the person will get pushed against the seat, so making this force zero is not a requirement. In general, ## F_{net}=F_g+F_{seat}=ma=mv^2/r ## with ## F_g=mg ## so that ## F_{seat}=m(v^2/r-g) ##.

Aaah I see, this case comes to the same solution afterall as I thought it would be

Oliver919 said:
Alright but then comes to my mind: How do I calculate a if v is not given (because 0 can't be in this case, and horizontal is unknown)
(Please read the edited part of my last post.) I think you understand the physics of the entire topic for whatever they might ask, but the instructor needs to be more clear on exactly what it is that they want you to compute.

Yes, he's quite confused and confusing, well I'll take it, thanks!

Likes Charles Link

What is the velocity at the highest point of a swing?

The velocity at the highest point of a swing is zero. This is because at the highest point, the object is momentarily at rest before it starts to swing back down.

Does the mass of the object affect the velocity at the highest point of a swing?

No, the mass of the object does not affect the velocity at the highest point of a swing. The velocity at the highest point is solely dependent on the initial velocity and the height of the swing.

How does the length of the swing affect the velocity at the highest point?

The length of the swing does not affect the velocity at the highest point. However, it does affect the overall speed of the swing. A longer swing will have a higher maximum velocity and a longer period of oscillation than a shorter swing.

What is the relationship between the velocity at the highest point and the gravitational force?

The velocity at the highest point is directly related to the gravitational force. As the object reaches the highest point, the gravitational force is at its minimum, which results in a zero velocity. As the object swings back down, the gravitational force increases, causing the velocity to increase as well.

Can the velocity at the highest point be calculated using the conservation of energy?

Yes, the velocity at the highest point can be calculated using the conservation of energy. This principle states that the total energy of a system remains constant, and the potential energy at the highest point is equal to the kinetic energy at the lowest point. By equating these energies, we can calculate the velocity at the highest point.