Swinging periods of physical and simple pendelums

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physical
In summary, the acceleration of the centre of mass in a swinging physical pendulum follows a different equation than that of a simple pendulum due to its curvilinear motion. The moment of inertia and torque must be taken into account in the equation for the physical pendulum, and the radius of gyration must be used as the "length" parameter. Comparing the angular frequencies of the two types of pendulums can help determine the radius of gyration.
Nikitin
Hey! Where is the error in my reasoning?:

The acceleration of the centre of mass in a swinging physical pendulum in simple harmonic motion is given by:

##M \ddot{\vec{r_{cm}}} = \sum m_j \ddot{\vec{r_j}} = \vec{g} M##

If ##x## is the coordinate distance measured along the swinging-arc of the CM, ##\theta## is the angular displacement from the vertical line thru ##x=0## and ##R## is the distance from the pivot and to the CM, and if we assume the angular amplitude is small:

##\ddot{x_{cm}} \approx -g \theta_{cm} = -\frac{x_{cm}}{R} g##

Thus the period the CM is swinging with is identical to that of a simple pendulum.

Why is this wrong? The acceleration of the centre of mass in a physical pendulum has the same form as that of the ball in the simple pendulum, so why can't I just ignore moment of inertia, torque and all that and just set up a normal DE?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One cannot "ignore" Moment of Inertia and Torque in the motion of any pendulum of this type on a simple reason that its motion (including the motion of the CM) is not linear, but curvilinear; in this case - rotational.
Thus, the original equation MUST HAVE moment of inertia, instead of just mass multiplied by the derivative of angular coordinate, instead of the linear one, on one side, and the Torque of the Gravitational Force, instead of just the Force itself, on the other side.

You can "ignore" the rotary inertia it in a sense, except the correct "length" parameter is the radius of gyration of the pendulum about the pivot, not the distance to its center of mass. Of course for a point mass, the two lengths are the same.

What is the radius of gyratation? I assume it can be found by comparing the formulas for the angular frequency of physical and simple pendulums?

Anyway, is there nothing incorrect about the logic in the OP? Because if I use that, I get the same angular frequency expression as for simple pendulums...

Nikitin said:
What is the radius of gyratation?
Google is your friend, but search for gyration, not gyratation. :smile:

Related to Swinging periods of physical and simple pendelums

1. What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a rigid body that is suspended from a fixed point and can swing freely in a gravitational field. Unlike a simple pendulum, which consists of a small mass attached to a string, a physical pendulum has a larger mass distributed along a rigid body.

2. How do you calculate the period of a physical pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass.

3. What factors affect the swinging period of a physical pendulum?

The swinging period of a physical pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass distribution along the pendulum, and the acceleration due to gravity. The period of a physical pendulum also depends on the angle of displacement and the amplitude of the swing.

4. How does a simple pendulum differ from a physical pendulum?

A simple pendulum consists of a small mass attached to a string, while a physical pendulum has a larger mass distributed along a rigid body. The period of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to the length of the string, while the period of a physical pendulum depends on the mass distribution and the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass.

5. Can the period of a physical pendulum be affected by air resistance or friction?

Yes, air resistance and friction can affect the period of a physical pendulum. These forces can cause the pendulum to lose energy and slow down, leading to a longer period. However, in most cases, the effect of air resistance and friction on the period of a physical pendulum is negligible.