System of particles - find energy

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving particles of mass m and 2m connected by a light inextensible string on a horizontal table. The problem is to find the ratio between the two possible speeds of the system when one particle is nudged off the table. The conversation includes a summary of the initial and final energy equations, as well as a potential error in the calculations pointed out by the expert summarizer. The correct ratio is found to be √2:1.
kingyof2thejring
Iam having problems with this question i think my technique is right but i,ve made a mistake somewhere

Particles of mass m and 2m respectively are connected by a light inextensible string. Initially, the particles lie at opposite edges of a smooth horizontal table with the string just taut. One of the particles is then nudged over the edge of the table. Find the ratio between the two possible speeds of the system when the other particle reaches the edge of the table.

i've let the level of potential energy be the table
m rep A
2m rep B
i've stated of nudging B and keeping A on the table
energy at start = 0
energy at finish = KE of A and B and PE of B

1/2*m*v^2 + 1/2*2m*v^2 + 2m*g*-h
Energy at start = Energy at finish
1/2mv^2(1/2 + 1) = 2mgh
v^2(1/2 + 1) =2gh
v^2 = 2gh/1.5
v = (4/3gh)^-1

now if we nudge A and keep B on the table

Energy at start = 0
Energy at finish = KE of A and B + PE of A

1/2*m*v^2 + 1/2*2m*v^2 + m*g*-h
1/2mv^2 +mv^2 = mgh
mv^2(1/2 +1) = mgh
v^2 = gh/1.5
v = (2/3gh)^-1

(4/3gh)^-1 : (2/3gh)^-1

sub in random value for h= 5

i get a ratio of

1.4 : 1

which is an answer i don't have much faith in.
i could have made mistake in my technique or silly error
Could anyone help me out please!
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your math

1/2*m*v^2 + 1/2*2m*v^2 + 2m*g*-h
1/2mv^2(1/2 + 1) = 2mgh ......here
v^2(1/2 + 1) =2gh.........here
v^2 = 2gh/1.5
v = (4/3gh)^-1........and here

and similarly in the second part.

cheers
v = (4/3gh)^-1
should be v = (4/3gh)^1/2, I've got that, but this does not solve the problem

1/2mv^2(1/2 + 1) = 2mgh
should be mv^2(1/2 + 1) = 2mgh

v^2(1/2 + 1) =2gh this is correct

these are typing errors on my behalf
the ratio i get is 1.4 : 1

v = (4/3gh)^(1/2)
and
v = (2/3gh)^(1/2)
so the ratio is sqrt(2):1

cheers ta thx

1. What is a system of particles?

A system of particles refers to a collection of particles that interact with each other and can be studied as a whole entity. Examples of systems of particles include atoms in a gas, molecules in a liquid, or planets in a solar system.

2. How is energy calculated in a system of particles?

The total energy of a system of particles is calculated by adding up the kinetic energy and potential energy of each individual particle in the system. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position or configuration.

3. What is the relationship between energy and temperature in a system of particles?

In a system of particles, the average kinetic energy of the particles is directly proportional to the temperature of the system. As the temperature increases, the particles move faster and have higher kinetic energy, resulting in a higher total energy for the system.

4. Can energy be transferred between particles in a system?

Yes, energy can be transferred between particles in a system through various processes such as collisions, radiation, or conduction. This transfer of energy can result in changes in the kinetic and potential energy of the particles, thus affecting the total energy of the system.

5. How does the conservation of energy apply to a system of particles?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In a system of particles, the total energy remains constant unless there is an external force or energy input. This means that the total energy of a system of particles will always remain the same, even if the energy is transferred between particles within the system.