Impulse or Momentum Challenging Question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the force needed to keep a railroad car moving at a constant speed under a grain elevator. The equations U=V+dV-Vrel and dM/dt • Vrel = M • dV/dt are considered, and it is determined that the additional force required is V • dM/dt = 4.5 • 7 = 31.5 N, with a small arithmetic error corrected later on. The conversation ends with a request for help with another question.
i_hate_math

Homework Statement

A railroad car moves under a grain elevator at a constant speed of 4.50 m/s. Grain drops into the car at the rate of 420 kg/min. What is the magnitude of the force needed to keep the car moving at constant speed if friction is negligible?

Homework Equations

U=V+dV-Vrel , U is the velocity of dM, which is 0 in this case
dM/dt • Vrel = M • dV/dt where V is the velocity not volume

The Attempt at a Solution

So from the question, dM/dt is 420kg/min=70kg/s,
I played with the 1st rocket equation, was able to get (4.5+dV)*70=M*a=Force needed.
But how do I find dV with limited information on the system given?

Physics news on Phys.org
i_hate_math said:
420kg/min=70kg/s
No it isn't.
i_hate_math said:
U=V+dV-Vrel , U is the velocity of dM, which is 0 in this case
dM/dt • Vrel = M • dV/dt
Since you do not define all your variables, I cannot tell whether these equations are correct.
Consider the mass added to the car in one second. What is its gain in momentum? What rate of change of momentum does that imply? What is the relationship between force and rate of change of momentum?

Likes i_hate_math
haruspex said:
No it isn't.

Since you do not define all your variables, I cannot tell whether these equations are correct.
Consider the mass added to the car in one second. What is its gain in momentum? What rate of change of momentum does that imply? What is the relationship between force and rate of change of momentum?

Okay, i see. So the force required is the new applied force applied to the car so it moves at the same constant speed. i did it again with using the chain rule:
d(MV)/dt=V • dM/dt + M • dV/dt, where M • dV/dt is the thrust of the car before mass started to vary. then the additional force required is just V • dM/dt = 4.5 • 7 = 32.5 N

i_hate_math said:
Okay, i see. So the force required is the new applied force applied to the car so it moves at the same constant speed. i did it again with using the chain rule:
d(MV)/dt=V • dM/dt + M • dV/dt, where M • dV/dt is the thrust of the car before mass started to vary. then the additional force required is just V • dM/dt = 4.5 • 7 = 32.5 N
Does that look alright?

i_hate_math said:
Small arithmetic error, but otherwise fine.

Likes i_hate_math
haruspex said:
Small arithmetic error, but otherwise fine.
aw bugger me its 31.5. thanks heaps

1. How does the mass of a system affect its behavior?

The mass of a system can significantly impact its behavior. As the mass of a system increases, its inertia also increases, making it more resistant to changes in motion and resulting in slower acceleration. Additionally, increasing the mass of a system can also affect its stability, as heavier systems require more force to maintain their position or balance.

2. Can a system with increasing mass ever reach a state of equilibrium?

Yes, a system with increasing mass can reach a state of equilibrium if the forces acting on the system are balanced. This can occur when the external forces exerted on the system are equal to the internal forces within the system, resulting in a state of zero net force and zero acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between mass and energy in a system?

According to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, there is a direct relationship between mass and energy. This means that an increase in the mass of a system results in an increase in its energy, and vice versa. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of systems with increasing mass, such as in nuclear reactions where mass is converted to energy.

4. Are there any limitations to increasing the mass of a system?

Yes, there are limitations to increasing the mass of a system. As the mass of a system increases, it becomes more difficult to control and can require more energy to maintain its stability. Additionally, the laws of physics place limits on the maximum mass that a system can have, such as the maximum mass of a black hole.

5. Can a system with increasing mass ever decrease in mass?

Yes, a system with increasing mass can decrease in mass through various processes such as nuclear reactions, where mass is converted into energy, or through the loss of particles or objects from the system. However, in most cases, the mass of a system will tend to remain constant or increase over time.