1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Systematic vs Random Errors or Quality of Data

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    Both the copper wire and the light bulb became hotter and hotter when a current was constantly passing through them, resulting in an increase in their resistances, which in turn lowering the value of the current through the conductor. (I did not allow time for both the wire and the light bulb to cool down)

The question is, is this a systematic error or random error? Or does this flaw only affect the quality of the data?

I am doing this as my IA and this is part of my evaluation. I have to state which error this flaw causes. I generally think this is a systematic error because it causes an uncertainty in only one direction, but I am not quite sure.

This is an IA for Ohm's Law, to determine whether the copper wire and the light bulb obey Ohm's Law.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

The fact that resistance changes as a function of temperature is not an error or a flaw. I can assume you made many measurements of voltage and current--how you go about obtaining these data is usually where the errors and flaws creep in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook