Systems science/theory and downward causation

• Thread starter ihavenoname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of systems science and the idea of examining systems as a whole rather than just individual parts. However, there is a controversial concept known as "downward causation" which suggests that larger-scale phenomena can influence smaller-scale interactions. This idea is not supported by mainstream science literature and is often considered to be pseudoscience.
ihavenoname
I've been reading a bit about systems science/theory and I understand that in some fields it sometimes pays off to look at how the whole systems behave as opposed to how the individual parts that comprise the systems work. However, there seems to be a certain aspect of systems theory known as "downward causation". This is defined as (from Wikipedia):
phenomena at a larger-scale level of organization exerting causal influence on a smaller-scale level
There are also claims that because of this you could never simulate the system by simulating the parts and their interaction without considering this "action" (or force? I don't know what the right word is) that the system supposedly exerts on its parts.

My knee-jerk reaction was that this is nothing but crackpottery. I have tried to find some mainstream hypotheses or experiments supporting such an idea but I only found philosophy stuff, which has neither.

So, my question is: are there any hypotheses and/or experiments described in mainstream science literature that support this seemingly absurd idea of "downward causation" or is it just crackpottery?

Physics news on Phys.org
Classical mechanics is separable meaning that classical phenomena are characterized by there being local properties that are only affected by other local properties. The kinematic theory of gasses is a good example of how a large aggregate of interacting molecules only depend on local fields and other interactions. Downward causation is impossible for any phenomena described by classical mechanical interactions, such as fluid waves, Rayleigh Benard convection, etc... Rayleigh Benard convection is a commonly used example of how "downward causation" might be of influence, but nobody in their right mind would believe such garbage. Quantum mechanical phenomena are not separable, and therefore are not subject to the same restrictions. Nevertheless, "downward causation" in quantum mechanics is not a particularly good concept to use even for those phenomena. There are lots of papers written about this. I'd suggest http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/25171288?uid=3739864&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21101207440023, "Forms of Quantum Nonseparability and Related Philosophical Consequences" and "Holism and Nonseparability in Physics" by Healey.

ihavenoname said:
I've been reading a bit about systems science/theory and I understand that in some fields it sometimes pays off to look at how the whole systems behave as opposed to how the individual parts that comprise the systems work.
Note that this part however, is perfectly reasonable. Examining systems as a whole as opposed to individual parts is commonly done and perfectly valid. The only problem comes in when someone suggests there are downward causes that influence local physical states.

Last edited:
Q_Goest's answer is excellent. Since the question is answered, I'll lock the thread.

1. What is systems science/theory?

Systems science/theory is an interdisciplinary approach to studying complex systems, such as biological, social, and ecological systems. It involves understanding the interactions, relationships, and feedback loops within a system to gain a holistic understanding of its behavior and dynamics.

2. What is the difference between systems science and systems theory?

Systems science is the broader field that encompasses various disciplines, such as biology, physics, sociology, and psychology, while systems theory is a specific theoretical framework used to analyze and understand systems. Systems theory provides a set of principles and concepts for examining and explaining how systems function and evolve.

3. What is downward causation in systems theory?

Downward causation is the idea that higher-level properties and processes of a system can influence the behavior and dynamics of its lower-level components. In other words, the emergent properties of a system can have an impact on the individual elements that make up the system.

4. How is downward causation different from upward causation?

Upward causation is the traditional view of causality, where lower-level components of a system determine the behavior of the system as a whole. Downward causation, on the other hand, suggests that higher-level properties and processes can also influence the behavior of the system and its lower-level components.

5. How is systems theory applied in real-world situations?

Systems theory has been applied in various fields, including biology, psychology, ecology, and management. It is used to study complex systems and address real-world problems, such as predicting and managing disease outbreaks, understanding social dynamics, and improving organizational structures and processes.