1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

T^2 vs. L and T^2 vs M' Graphs

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the expected slope of the line? What was the actual slope of the line of best fit? Calculate the gravity constant g from the slope of your graph

2. Relevant equations
    k = (Mg) / (y_0 - y)

4pi^2/g x L = T^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand how to acquire gravity using the second equation for T^2 vs L. But I don't have a clue what my expected slope should be for either graph. My calculated slope for T^2 vs L is 3.223 and for T^2 vs. M' 3.616

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

If you graph y vs x and the formula is y = mx,
    then the slope is expected to be m.
    If you graph T² vs L and the formula is T² = (4pi²/g) x L
    then the expected slope is (4pi²/g). The calc for g would then be
    g = 4pi²/slope

I don't see a formula relating T² and M'. What is M'?
    It looks like you might be doing a pendulum experiment?

4. Nov 2, 2011 #3
    So that means my expected slope would be ~4? This was a pendulum experiment for T^2 vs L and and oscillating spring for T^2 vs M'. M' is the mass of our hook + spring + added weight, while M is just the mass of our weight added to the hook and spring.

Through my notes I found the equation T^2 = (4pi^2m)/k. So if I replace y=T^2 and x=m does that mean my slope is (4pi^2)/k?

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Yes, that is the idea. Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook