Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: T distribution?

1. Oct 20, 2008 #1
    t distribution??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If U and V are independent, U being distributed N(3,16) and V being distributed as chi-square on 9 degrees of freedom, find

P(U-3 < 4.33 sqrtV).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I don't even know where to start!! Does U-3 suggest the mean is 0? Is the whole distribution of U shifted left by 3? Does that give a t distribution?
    I am not asking for the answer but some direction would be appreciated, I just can't seem to understand this at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: t distribution??

U-3 is distributed N(0,16).

4. Oct 21, 2008 #3
    Re: t distribution??

Ok, I understand this and also can reason that the probability would be very high, just by thinking of the graphs of the distributions, however I am still at a loss as to how to compute the probability. I use R to do the calculations, is it some kind of t test or do I put in the distributions and their parameters and just use R to calculate the probability, if so... is the R code just the same as in the question, that is, P(U-3 < 4.33 sqrtV)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook