1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

T vs V for adiabatic processes

1. Sep 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) Black body radiation:

The energy and pressure of black body radiation depend on [itex]T[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] as [itex] E = σV T^4 [/itex] , [itex]p=\frac{1}{3}σT^4 [/itex] σ = a constant

(1) Suppose that the temperature and volume of a box of radiation change adiabatically, which means that there is no heat flow. First, find the relation between [itex]dE[/itex] and [itex]dT[/itex] in this process. Next using equation (1) show that [itex]T ∝ V^-\frac{1}{3}[/itex]

b)Pressureless glop

Suppose that the energy and pressure of a different substance are given by [itex] E = γV T^\frac{2}{3}[/itex] ,[itex] p = 0 [/itex] γ = constant

The temperature and volume of a box of this substance are changed adiabatically. What is the relation between T and V during this process?

2. Relevant equations
    See problem description

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not quite sure where to begin with this one. I've solved every other problem in the problem set without a problem, but this one I'm a little confused where to start.

[itex] \Delta E = Q - W [/itex]

The processes are adiabatic, so Q = 0. Also, [itex]W = pdV[/itex]

Therefore
    [itex] \Delta E = -pdV [/itex]

Is it asking me to find dE/dT? For part a this would be:
    [itex]\frac{dE}{dT} = 4σVT^3 [/itex]

After I get these pieces, I'm not sure how to assemble them into the answers the problems are asking for.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That would only be true if V is constant with respect to changes in T. Is it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted