Tangent Vector for Vector Function?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the unit tangent vector for a given vector function using the formula r'(t) / |r'(t)|. The derivative of the vector function was calculated and the magnitude of the vector was found by squaring each component and adding them together. There was some confusion about simplifying the exponential terms, but it was resolved by realizing that e^(8t) and e^(-8t) do not cancel out.
fball558
Tangent function vector?

Homework Statement

i know the formula for this problem. My homework was to like 5 of these and got the other 4. now stuck on the algebra part. please take a look and let me know where to go from here.
problem is
consider the vector function given below:
r(t) = <8sqrt(2)t, e^(-8t), e^(8t)> only the 2 in the x cordinate is square root
find the unit tangen vector

it will be r'(t) / |r'(t)|

derivative of r(t) = 8sqrt(2) , -8e^(-8t) , 8e^(8t)

then i get stuck on the magnitude of this. i know it is each component squared then square root of all them added togeather.
i get

128 + 64e^(-64t) + 64e^(64t)
then square root this whole thing.

im not sure how to simplify the whole e thing.
any help would be great!
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

I didn't see it at first, but |r'(t)| is incorrect. When you square e8t you don't get e64t; you get e16t.

Also, you might want to keep in mind that (e8t + e-8t)2 = e16t + 2 + e-16t

ok thanks i got it now!

1. What is the tangent function vector?

The tangent function vector is a mathematical concept that represents the slope of a line at a given point. It is used to determine the rate of change or angle of inclination of a line.

2. How is the tangent function vector calculated?

The tangent function vector is calculated by finding the derivative of the function at a specific point. This involves finding the limit of the change in y over the change in x as the change in x approaches 0.

3. What is the relationship between the tangent function vector and the tangent function?

The tangent function vector is the instantaneous slope of the tangent line at a given point on the graph of the tangent function. It represents the value of the tangent function at that specific point.

4. How is the tangent function vector used in real life?

The tangent function vector has applications in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate rates of change, determine maximum and minimum values, and model real-world phenomena such as population growth and interest rates.

5. Are there any limitations to using the tangent function vector?

One limitation of the tangent function vector is that it is only defined for continuous functions. It also cannot be calculated at points where the function is undefined or has a vertical tangent line.