Tangential Force Required to Slow Cylinder to a rest?

In summary, while the power is out, the rotational kinetic energy of the grinding wheel will still exist and can cause a force on the wood of -394267.5 Newtons.
ObviousManiac

Homework Statement

a)-The massive grinder for wood-pulp in a newsprint paper factory, which can render about a half Tonne of wood into a thin soup in less than a minute, is essentially a stone cylinder of radius 0.900 m and mass about 6.00 Tonnes. An enormous motor spins this cylinder on its axis while hydraulic cylinders press the pocket of wood against its rim. A typical rotational speed for the motor is 62.0 rpm (rotations per minute). Suppose that while the paper plant is in full operation there is a power outage due to an ice-storm. How much energy (in J) is available to grind wood just from the rotational kinetic energy of the grinding wheel?

I HAVE ALREADY SOLVED PART a,
NEED HELP WITH B:

b)-If the grinding wheel comes to rest in 80.0 ms what is the tangential force (in N) that the wood presents to the grinding wheel if this force is constant during the slowing down?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2Iw2
F = ∆p/∆t ...?
t = Fr
∆w/∆t = α

The Attempt at a Solution

honestly don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ObviousManiac! :smile:
ObviousManiac said:
b)-If the grinding wheel comes to rest in 80.0 ms what is the tangential force (in N) that the wood presents to the grinding wheel if this force is constant during the slowing down?

First find the angular acceleration, using the standard constant acceleration equations but with θ ω and α instead of s v and a.

Then find the torque that produces that angular acceleration, and so find the force at the rim. :wink:

Silly question - what is my θ?

there's no θ in this particular question, only the angular equivalent of u v a and t :wink:

to find α, could I not do this?:

wf = wi + αt

wf = 0, so

-wi = αt

(where wi = 62 rpm/60 sec * 2π rad = 6.49 rad/s)

so

- 6.49 = α(.08)

α = -81.125 rad/s2

looks good! :smile:

and so the tangential force is … ? :wink:

T = mr2a

= 6000(.92)(-81.125)

= -394267.5

rF = -394267.5

.9F = -394267.5

F = -394267.5/.9

F = - 438075 N

... Is this correct?

ObviousManiac said:
T = mr2a

= 6000(.92)(-81.125)

No, that's the wrong I.

Also, it would be easier (and quicker, and less likely to lead to mistakes) if you wrote all your equations at the start …

in this case, Fr = τ = Iα, so F = Iα/r :wink:

isn't I = mr2 ?

So would it be

F = Iα/r

F = mr2α/r = mrα

?

yes :smile:, except I for a solid cylinder isn't mr2

you need to learn the moment of inertia of every common geometrical shape :wink:

OH

I didn't even think about that... wow I'm really dropping the ball tonight.

So:

I = .5mr^2

F = Ia/r

f = .5mr^2a/r = .5mra

= (6000)(.9)(-81.125)/2

= -219037.5 N

What is tangential force?

Tangential force is a type of force that acts parallel to the surface of an object. It is also known as frictional force and is responsible for slowing down the motion of an object.

How is tangential force related to slowing down a cylinder?

In order to slow down a cylinder, a tangential force must be applied in the opposite direction of the cylinder's motion. This force will act against the cylinder's movement and eventually bring it to a stop.

What factors affect the amount of tangential force required to slow down a cylinder?

The amount of tangential force needed to slow down a cylinder depends on several factors, such as the mass and velocity of the cylinder, the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the surface it is moving on, and any external forces acting on the cylinder.

Is calculating the tangential force required to slow down a cylinder a simple process?

No, it is not a simple process as it involves complex mathematical equations and considerations of various factors such as friction and external forces. It also requires a good understanding of physics and mechanics.

What are some practical applications of understanding tangential force and its role in slowing down a cylinder?

Understanding tangential force is essential in designing and operating machines and vehicles that involve the rotation of cylinders, such as car engines, conveyor belts, and turbines. It is also important in industries such as manufacturing and construction, where precise control of motion and friction is necessary for safe and efficient operations.