1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent's equation

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    Decide an equation for the tangent to the curve y=6x-x^2 at the point (4,8)

Well for this I thought I'd use this

Then I thought I'd Use

8-(-16)/8-4 =6

Then I thought the answer was -6X - 16 But it Wasen't the answer should be
    -2x -16

What am I doing wrong please help me!?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, but you didn't need to do that- you were told that when x= 4, y= 8. That's what "at the point (4, 8)" means.
    NO! (4, 8) are not two different x- values: they are the (x,y) values of a single point.
    Basically, you are doing everything wrong! What you found was the equation of the line between the points (4, 8) and (8, -16).
    You were asked to find the equation of the line through the single point (4, 8) that is tangent to the curve there.

I assume this is a calculus course, since otherwise there is no way to answer this question- but you didn't use any calculus!

Do you know how to find the derivative of y with respect to x and evaluate it at x= 4?
    Do you know how "slope of the tangent line" is related to the derivative?
  4. Nov 2, 2005 #3
    That was no Help

Yeah, I did know that the point was x1 = 4 And y1 = 8
    And I know I decide those things with f(x+h)-F(x) / h and so on but I doesn't help me nada. And your quotation didn't help me either please provide me a solution so maybe I understand?
  5. Nov 2, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

Have you seen derivatives yet?
  6. Nov 2, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

Izekid, you need to tell us about derivatives.
  7. Nov 2, 2005 #6
    You shall not know the derivate for the equation.... !
    Its a simple question where you shall DECIDE(you shall tell the one who does the question about what the equation shall be) the equation for the curve 6x-x^2
    And you have 2 coordinates (4,8)

And The Answer Should be Y=-2x-16

But if you want to derivate this it's gonna be
    X^2 = 2x^2-1

6x - 2x = 4x And that's no answer

So please help I have written the things that is written in my math book...
  8. Nov 2, 2005 #7
    Let f(x) = 6x-x^2
    therefore f'(x) = 6-2x. At point (4,8), f'(x) = -2. So, we say that the following is true...
    8-y = -2(4-x) => y = 16-2x (as required, I think)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?