Solve Tangent's Equation for y=6x-x^2 at (4,8)

• Thread starter Izekid
  • Start date
In summary, to find the equation for the tangent line to the curve y=6x-x^2 at the point (4,8), we first find the derivative of the function, which is 6-2x. Then, we substitute the x-value (4) into the derivative to find the slope of the tangent line, which is -2. Finally, we use the point-slope form of a line to find the equation of the tangent line, which is y = 16-2x.
Izekid
Decide an equation for the tangent to the curve y=6x-x^2 at the point (4,8)

Well for this I thought I'd use this

6*4-4^2=8

6*8-8^2=-16

Then I thought I'd Use

DeltaY/DeltaX

8-(-16)/8-4 =6

Then I thought the answer was -6X - 16 But it Wasen't the answer should be
-2x -16

What am I doing wrong please help me!?

Physics news on Phys.org
Izekid said:
Decide an equation for the tangent to the curve y=6x-x^2 at the point (4,8)
Well for this I thought I'd use this
6*4-4^2=8
Yes, but you didn't need to do that- you were told that when x= 4, y= 8. That's what "at the point (4, 8)" means.
6*8-8^2=-16
NO! (4, 8) are not two different x- values: they are the (x,y) values of a single point.
Then I thought I'd Use
DeltaY/DeltaX
8-(-16)/8-4 =6
Then I thought the answer was -6X - 16 But it Wasen't the answer should be
-2x -16
What am I doing wrong please help me!?
Basically, you are doing everything wrong! What you found was the equation of the line between the points (4, 8) and (8, -16).
You were asked to find the equation of the line through the single point (4, 8) that is tangent to the curve there.

I assume this is a calculus course, since otherwise there is no way to answer this question- but you didn't use any calculus!

Do you know how to find the derivative of y with respect to x and evaluate it at x= 4?
Do you know how "slope of the tangent line" is related to the derivative?

That was no Help

Yeah, I did know that the point was x1 = 4 And y1 = 8
And I know I decide those things with f(x+h)-F(x) / h and so on but I doesn't help me nada. And your quotation didn't help me either please provide me a solution so maybe I understand?

Have you seen derivatives yet?

Izekid, you need to tell us about derivatives.

You shall not know the derivate for the equation... !
Its a simple question where you shall DECIDE(you shall tell the one who does the question about what the equation shall be) the equation for the curve 6x-x^2
And you have 2 coordinates (4,8)

And The Answer Should be Y=-2x-16

But if you want to derivate this it's going to be
X^2 = 2x^2-1
=2x

6x - 2x = 4x And that's no answer

So please help I have written the things that is written in my math book...

Let f(x) = 6x-x^2
therefore f'(x) = 6-2x. At point (4,8), f'(x) = -2. So, we say that the following is true...
8-y = -2(4-x) => y = 16-2x (as required, I think)

1. What is the equation for the tangent line at the point (4,8)?

The equation for the tangent line at the point (4,8) is y = 4x - 8.

2. How do you solve for the tangent line of a quadratic equation?

To solve for the tangent line of a quadratic equation, you can use the point-slope formula: y - y1 = m(x - x1), where m is the slope and (x1, y1) is the point on the curve where the tangent line is desired. In this case, we can substitute the values of (4,8) for (x1,y1) and solve for the slope using the derivative of the quadratic equation.

3. What is the slope of the tangent line at the point (4,8)?

The slope of the tangent line at the point (4,8) can be found by taking the derivative of the quadratic equation, which is y' = 6 - 2x. Plugging in the x-coordinate of 4 gives a slope of 4.

4. Can you graph the tangent line for the equation y=6x-x^2 at (4,8)?

Yes, the tangent line can be graphed by plotting the point (4,8) and using the slope of 4 to find a second point. Then, draw a straight line through these two points to represent the tangent line at (4,8).

5. How can the tangent line be used to approximate the value of the quadratic equation at a given point?

The tangent line can be used to approximate the value of the quadratic equation at a given point by plugging in the x-coordinate of the point into the tangent line equation. This will give an approximate value for the y-coordinate at that point on the curve.