Task with ball, cyllinder and inclined plane - problem -help

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cylinder and a ball on an inclined plane with varying angles of inclination. The friction factor for both objects is the same and constant. The goal is to compare the times for both objects to reach the base of the plane and determine the ratio of these times. The situation for small angles involves no slip, while the situation for big angles involves slip. The range of angles for these situations is unknown, and the question is how to solve for the times in the second situation. The suggestion is to consider the relationship between normal force and tangential acceleration in regards to rotational kinetic energy. At steeper angles, the normal force decreases while the parallel force increases, potentially causing the objects to skip dramatically at a
Pawell
Hello everybody! ;)

I've got problem with task below, I've got few days to solve it and I've got some troubles:

On inclined plane with variable angle of inclination we set cylinder and ball on the same height above the ground. The friction factor for both objects comes to 0,1 - it's the same and constant for both of them. Compare the times, after which both of these objects reach the base of inclined plane (the ground) - count the ratio of these times. Consider two situations:

a) for small angles of plane's inclination, when movement of bodies is held without slip.
b) for big angles of plane's inclination, when movement of bodies is held with slip.

Calculate, for what range of angles situations a) and b) are considered.

I've no problem with situation in point a). But I can't manage the situation b) because I think these "times" depend on angel too - not only on friction factor and inertial moment of bodies. How to solve this? Have no idea.. I've thought about this very long time and still nothin' ;) If you know, please help me. I'll be very grateful even for little help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

If I am understanding your question right, maybe look at the relationship between the normal force that defines the force with which tangential acceleration will be imparted to rotational kinetic energy. As the angle steepens won't the force normal to the incline lessen and hence its ability to rotationally accelerate the objects will diminish at the same time as the force parallel to the plane increases, accelerating the object faster than the surface can spin the objects to keep up?

In the extreme case of 90° it will skip rather dramatically one would think.

Hi there,

It seems like you have a very interesting problem to solve! In order to solve this problem, we need to consider the forces acting on both the cylinder and the ball.

In situation a), where there is no slip, the only force acting on the objects is gravity. This means that the acceleration of both objects down the incline will be the same, regardless of their shape or mass. Therefore, the ratio of their times will simply be the ratio of their distances traveled.

In situation b), where there is slip, we need to consider the additional force of friction acting on the objects. This force will depend on the angle of inclination, as well as the mass and shape of the objects. Therefore, the acceleration of the objects will not be the same and the ratio of their times will also depend on the angle of inclination.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the equations of motion and consider the forces acting on the objects in both situations. You will also need to use the given friction factor and inertial moment of the objects. I suggest breaking the problem down into smaller parts and solving each part individually, then putting them together to find the overall solution.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

1. How do I calculate the acceleration of the ball on the inclined plane?

The acceleration of the ball on the inclined plane can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

2. How do I calculate the force required to move the ball up the inclined plane?

The force required to move the ball up the inclined plane can be calculated using the formula F = mg(sinθ + μcosθ), where F is the force, m is the mass of the ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the inclined plane, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the force required to move the ball up?

The force required to move the ball up the inclined plane is directly proportional to the angle of the inclined plane. As the angle increases, the force required also increases.

4. Can the ball roll without slipping on the inclined plane?

Yes, the ball can roll without slipping on the inclined plane if the force applied is sufficient to overcome the force of friction. This can be achieved by having a large enough angle or by reducing the coefficient of friction.

5. How does the mass of the ball affect its motion on the inclined plane?

The mass of the ball does not affect its motion on the inclined plane as long as the force applied is sufficient to overcome the force of friction. However, a heavier ball may require more force to be applied to move it up the inclined plane compared to a lighter ball.