1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teaching a high school graduate physics

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    Hello all,

I'm a Senior in undergrad physics. I want to teach my sister physics as well as prepare for the GRE this summer. What are solid introductions both mathematically and conceptually concise?

I am thinking of Physics: Concepts and Connections (5th Edition) by Art Hobson before I start a rigorous math introduction. Has anyone any opinion on this book? I can't seem to find it in any library near me, and I'm wondering if it is worth buying. Specifically, does it properly explain the concept of fields (E&M) and why we use them and minimization principle?

I plan on using griffiths/taylor for more math-oriented introductions. Are there any online lectures better than these? Taylor is excellent, but I always found Griffths inconsistent in his flow between concepts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2012 #2
    Well I bought the book since nobody replied -_- I'll let you know how it is. Can't believe I couldn't find a decent review anywhere.

I also found this as a pretty good resource:.academicearth.org/speakers/ramamurti-shankar-1 (apparently I can't link ppl so add the front)

Anyone else feel like they just need a complete review of everything they've learned and something just clicks?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook