Teaching Chemistry labs and demonstrations online now -- Suggestions Please

In summary, for conducting chemistry labs and demonstrations online, there are various resources available such as YouTube channels with tutorials and videos of lab experiments. One specific video mentioned is "Man in the White Suit" which showcases an experiment on an indestructible fiber. There is also a link provided for a TLC simulator and a free virtual lab for high school students.
Terrakron
Gold Member
Summary:: How to do chemistry labs and demonstrations for online education.

I am teaching two lab sessions one on general chemistry, one on organic chemistry. Now th we are going “online” I need a lot of help. Do you have videos showing labs?

Science news on Phys.org
We don’t host videos here. However, our curated list of videos may have some with labs but you’d have to search.

There are many YouTube channels that have chem tutorials that should be easy to find and they may have labs.

By lab you mean and assignment where the student conducts an experiment not a picture of an actual lab setting.

One video you might like to start off with is a scene from one of Alec Guiness’s Ealing comedies called the Man in the White Suit. It’s about an out of work chemist installing electron microscopes in textile plant labs. He gets hired and is given permission to conduct some side experiments where he develops an indestructible fiber. Clothes made from it would never wear out, or would ever need to be cleaned (Teflon like property). A real game changer that get both mgmt and the union worried about their futures.

Thanks, Jedishrfu, yes I'm talking about actual videos of laboratory experiments where students can see the setup and get data to do interpretations. Here is a link to one that I made for calculating the chemical equilibrium constant. this is the second part, in the first one I do the introduction and theory behind.

There might be something here. I’m waiting for my credentials to be authorized to get eyes on the content for this site so I cannot tell if this will address your needs.

What are some effective ways to engage students in online chemistry labs and demonstrations?

One effective way is to use interactive simulations and virtual experiments that allow students to manipulate variables and observe results. Another way is to incorporate videos of real-life experiments or demonstrations into the lesson. Additionally, incorporating group activities and discussions can keep students engaged and foster collaboration.

How can I ensure that students are understanding and retaining the information in online chemistry labs and demonstrations?

Regular formative assessments, such as quizzes or short assignments, can help assess student understanding. Providing opportunities for students to ask questions and receive feedback can also help gauge their understanding. Additionally, incorporating self-assessment tools, such as concept maps or reflection activities, can help students reflect on their learning and identify areas that need more attention.

What are some challenges of conducting chemistry labs and demonstrations online?

One challenge is the lack of physical equipment and materials, which can limit the types of experiments that can be done. Another challenge is the potential for technical difficulties or connectivity issues. Additionally, it may be more difficult to monitor and ensure academic integrity during online labs.

How can I adapt traditional chemistry labs and demonstrations for online teaching?

One way is to use household items and materials that students can easily find and use at home. Another way is to modify the procedures or techniques to make them more suitable for online experimentation. Additionally, providing detailed instructions and demonstrations can help students understand and complete the lab successfully.

What resources are available for teaching chemistry labs and demonstrations online?

There are many online platforms and resources that offer virtual labs and simulations for chemistry. Some examples include PhET Interactive Simulations, ChemCollective, and Virtual Chemistry Lab. Many textbooks also offer online resources and activities for teaching chemistry labs and demonstrations. Additionally, online teaching communities and forums can provide helpful tips and suggestions from other educators.