Teaching myself geometry, algebra 2, and calculus.

In summary, a high school freshman with ADHD is looking to self-teach geometry, algebra 2, Pre Cal, and Calculus in order to prepare for a future PhD in Theoretical Physics and potentially skip high school courses. They are seeking recommendations for books or online classes and have found Khan Academy and MIT's OpenCourseWare to be useful resources. They are also considering talking to their high school teachers and administration for additional guidance.
FuturePhysicist
Hey, I am a freshman in High School and I have a very superior IQ but I am in normal classes. This is due to ADHD and I used to be lazy in school. Anyways, algebra 1 is VERY boring. I want to teach myself geometry, algebra 2, Pre Cal, and Calculus because I love math. Also I feel like it will prepare me for college (PhD in Theoretical Physics) and perhaps I can skip courses through the rest of high school. Anyways, I am wandering if there are any good books or free online classes to where I can teach myself these. I may also want to add that I am a very fast learner.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes laneschmidt and FuturePhysicist
DivergentSpectrum said:
http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm
this is a great one and my personal favorite.
https://www.khanacademy.org/
although it specializes in self teaching, its probably not the best but other people say differently.
Thank you very much.

Khan Academy is lacking in practice questions for most subjects right now but is constantly being updated. The explanations are very easy to understand, and there are usually practice questions between subjects that force you to apply things you learn, as you learn.

Likes FuturePhysicist
Also, a lot of popular textbooks are available for free in pdf form with a simple google search.

Last edited:
Likes FuturePhysicist
One thing that you may also look into doing is talking with the teachers of those classes at your high school and see if you could check out a book for the subject for self study. Then you'll be doing the same things that the current students of those classes are doing. If you plan on skipping classes talk to your administration about doing so, as there is usually a credit requirement needed for graduation and you may have to take the classes anyways.

Likes FuturePhysicist

1. What are the benefits of teaching myself geometry, algebra 2, and calculus?

Teaching yourself geometry, algebra 2, and calculus can improve your critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and overall mathematical knowledge. It can also provide a strong foundation for future math courses and careers in fields such as engineering, physics, or computer science.

2. How can I effectively teach myself these subjects?

There are various resources available for self-teaching, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is important to establish a study schedule, seek help from a tutor or teacher when needed, and consistently practice and review the material.

3. Is it possible to teach myself these subjects without prior knowledge?

Yes, it is possible to teach yourself geometry, algebra 2, and calculus without prior knowledge. However, it may require more time and effort to understand the concepts and apply them correctly. It is important to start with the basics and build upon them gradually.

4. How long will it take to teach myself these subjects?

The time it takes to teach yourself geometry, algebra 2, and calculus will vary depending on your dedication, prior knowledge, and learning pace. It is important to set realistic goals and consistently work towards them. It may take several months to a year or more to fully grasp these subjects.

5. How can I assess my progress while teaching myself these subjects?

You can assess your progress by regularly practicing and solving problems, taking practice quizzes or tests, and seeking feedback from a tutor or teacher. It is also helpful to set specific goals and track your progress towards them.