Tearing Tape: Understanding the Differences in Fracture Behavior

In summary, the conversation discusses the different behaviors of Scotch tape and packing tape when torn along its length. The tear of Scotch tape continues along its length, while the tear of packing tape deviates to the side. This is due to the molecular structure of the tapes, with Scotch tape having a predominant fiber or long molecule orientation. Additionally, the transparent type of tape is made of long molecules such as PVC or PP, and the orientation of these molecules determines the strength and ease of tearing by hand.
JTC
(If this is posted in the wrong area, please feel free to move it.)

If I take Scotch tape (using the product name), pull out a long strand and then, beginning at the free end, tear it down along its length (to get two strips of the same length, but thinner), the "fracture" (if I may call it that in excess) continues to tear along the length.

But if I take the kind of tape used in packing boxes (I forget the name), the tear deviates to the side.

Why is this?

Is it something about the molecular structure?

Physics news on Phys.org
JTC said:
Is it something about the molecular structure?
Usually there is a predominant fiber or long molecule orientation. This happens with normal paper too.

Last edited:
A.T. said:
Usually there it a predominant fiber or long molecule orientation. This happens with normal paper too.

I have been told by a friend -- and I am not a material scientist -- that in this case, there are no mascroscopic fibers. It has something to do with the molecular structure that redirects the tear (at least as far as TAPE is concerned, not paper).

JTC said:
I have been told by a friend -- and I am not a material scientist -- that in this case, there are no mascroscopic fibers. It has something to do with the molecular structure that redirects the tear (at least as far as TAPE is concerned, not paper).
That's why I said fibers or long molecules. There is paper tape too, but the transparent type is made of long molecules (PVC or PP). The orientation depends on whether you want the tape to be very strong along its length, or easy to tear by hand.

A.T. said:
That's why I said fibers or long molecules. There is paper tape too, but the transparent type is made of long molecules (PVC or PP). The orientation depends on whether you want the tape to be very strong along its length, or easy to tear by hand.
Ah... thank you!

1. What is tearing tape?

Tearing tape is a type of adhesive tape that is designed to be easily torn by hand without the need for scissors or other cutting tools.

2. What are the differences in fracture behavior between tearing tape and regular tape?

The main difference in fracture behavior between tearing tape and regular tape is that tearing tape is designed to have a controlled and predictable tear, while regular tape may have a more random and unpredictable tear.

3. How does tearing tape work?

Tearing tape works by having a series of micro-cuts or perforations along the edges of the tape, making it easier to tear in a straight line.

4. What are the benefits of using tearing tape?

Some potential benefits of using tearing tape include ease of use, time-saving, and the ability to tear the tape to a desired length without the need for additional tools.

5. Are there any limitations to using tearing tape?

One limitation of tearing tape is that it may not be as strong or durable as regular tape, so it may not be suitable for heavy-duty or long-term applications.