Temperature change across a wall with respect to time

In summary, the conversation is about seeking help to figure out the time it takes for the temperature on one side of an aluminum wall to reach a certain point when the temperature on the other side changes. The rate of heat transfer is calculated using the thermal conductivity coefficient, surface area, and thickness of the wall, and the person has already calculated the rate but needs help with the next step. They also provide specific temperature values and ask for the time it takes for one temperature to reach another.
ihaland
Please help:

I need help to figure out the following:
Given:
An alluminum wall of thickness s.
T outside wall, To
T inside wall, Ti

If the temperature changes on one side of the wall To, how long will it take until the the other side of the wall Ti reaches Tr, where To < Tr <Ti

I appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The rate od heat transfer is given with kA (T1 - T2) / d, where k is the thermal conductivity coefficient, A, the surface area of the transferred heat, d the thickness of the wall, T1 the higher and T2 the lower temperature. This should work.

Yes, I have already calculated the rate, but I seem to be stuck on what to do next.

If I have the following:

Ti - 90 C

To - 80 C

Then I have calculated my rate of heat transfer to be 1649,8 J/s.

How long will it take for To = 85 ?

I really appreciate the help, Thanks!

1. What is the relationship between temperature change and time across a wall?

The temperature change across a wall is directly proportional to the time. This means that as time increases, the temperature change also increases. Similarly, as time decreases, the temperature change decreases.

2. How does the material of the wall affect the temperature change over time?

The material of the wall plays a significant role in the temperature change over time. Materials with high thermal conductivity, such as metal, will experience a faster temperature change compared to materials with low thermal conductivity, such as wood.

3. What factors can influence the rate of temperature change across a wall?

Several factors can affect the rate of temperature change across a wall. These include the material of the wall, the thickness of the wall, the temperature difference between the two sides of the wall, and the presence of insulation. Additionally, environmental factors such as wind and sunlight can also impact the rate of temperature change.

4. How does insulation affect the temperature change across a wall?

Insulation can significantly reduce the rate of temperature change across a wall. It acts as a barrier, preventing heat from escaping or entering the wall. This results in a slower temperature change, as the insulation helps to maintain a more constant temperature on both sides of the wall.

5. Is the temperature change across a wall linear or non-linear over time?

The temperature change across a wall can be either linear or non-linear, depending on the material and other factors. In most cases, the temperature change is non-linear, as the rate of change is not constant over time. However, certain materials may exhibit a linear temperature change, where the rate of change remains constant over time.