Temperature co efficient of resistance help

In summary: Some substances will give a straight line graph, meaning the coefficient is fairly constant with temperature. Others will give a curved graph of R vs Temperature which means the coefficient is not constant with temperature.With most metals the coefficient is linear enough that you can predict the resistance at other temperatures using the coefficient at 20 deg C.
kocchumon
is temperature co efficient of resistance a constant for a material?

if no how can i find the temperature co efficient of resistance at particular temperature?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Measure the resistance as a function of the temperature, over the temperature range you want.

You can get the tempco from the slope of the graph.

kocchumon said:
is temperature co efficient of resistance a constant for a material?

if no how can i find the temperature co efficient of resistance at particular temperature?

No, it isn't constant. That is why the temperature coefficient is always quoted at 20 deg C or some specific temperature.
Thermistors are particularly non linear. Their resistance can drop to half with every 8 degrees increase in temperature.
Metals are much better than this.

I have seen charts of this non linearity for some specific metals. I think it might have been in the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. I don't have this book, but good libraries would probably have it.
Or, there is always Google.

vk6kro said:
No, it isn't constant. That is why the temperature coefficient is always quoted at 20 deg C or some specific temperature.
Thermistors are particularly non linear. Their resistance can drop to half with every 8 degrees increase in temperature.
Metals are much better than this.

I have seen charts of this non linearity for some specific metals. I think it might have been in the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. I don't have this book, but good libraries would probably have it.
Or, there is always Google.

if i don't hav a graph with t vs r then how can i fing the temperature so efficient?

You look it up on a chart. Other people have already done the measurements.

Some substances will give a straight line graph, meaning the coefficient is fairly constant with temperature.
Others will give a curved graph of R vs Temperature which means the coefficient is not constant with temperature.

With most metals the coefficient is linear enough that you can predict the resistance at other temperatures using the coefficient at 20 deg C.

Wikipedia has some data on resistivity and some formulae that describe resistor behaviour.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistivity#Table_of_resistivities
look for the section on temperature dependence.

1. What is the temperature coefficient of resistance?

The temperature coefficient of resistance, also known as alpha (α), is a measure of how much the resistance of a material changes with temperature. It is typically expressed in units of ohms per degree Celsius (Ω/°C) or ohms per degree Kelvin (Ω/K).

2. How does temperature affect resistance?

As the temperature of a material increases, the atoms or molecules within the material vibrate more rapidly, causing more collisions with the electrons. This increased collision rate leads to an increase in resistance, as the electrons have a harder time moving through the material.

3. What is the formula for calculating temperature coefficient of resistance?

The formula for calculating temperature coefficient of resistance is: α = (R2-R1)/(R1 * (T2-T1)), where α is the temperature coefficient of resistance, R1 and R2 are the resistances at temperatures T1 and T2, respectively.

4. Why is the temperature coefficient of resistance important?

The temperature coefficient of resistance is important because it allows us to predict how the resistance of a material will change with temperature. This is crucial for designing and using electronic devices, as changes in resistance can affect the performance and accuracy of these devices.

5. How does the temperature coefficient of resistance vary among different materials?

The temperature coefficient of resistance varies among different materials and is dependent on factors such as the type of material, its composition, and its physical properties. For example, metals typically have a positive temperature coefficient of resistance, while semiconductors have a negative temperature coefficient of resistance.