Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature of Air escaping from tire

1. Apr 15, 2004 #1
    I have been trying to understand how to calculate the temperature of the air escaping from a blown up tire. I know its adiabatic cooling - but is it as simple as PV = nRT?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An adiabatic expansion goes as:

[tex]T_i V_i^{\gamma-1} = T_f V_f^{\gamma-1}[/tex]

where [itex]\gamma \equiv C_p/C_v[/itex].

- Warren

4. Apr 15, 2004 #3
    In your equation
    1. the i state (T, V) is the state of the air initally, in the tire. I have a tire that has a certain volume (Vi) and is at some temperature (Ti)
    2. the f state is the final state, air coming out of the tire - I understand Tf - what is Vf since the air is escaping to the great outdoors. Is it the amount of air that is escaping - per unit time?????

Why doesnt velocity of air come into equation
    size of nozzle

Under expansion, such as though a JT valve, cant I expand air such that in some cases it gives me a decrease in temperature, and in some cases an increase in temperature - something called an inversion line.

THANKS

5. Apr 15, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can easily calculate how much volume the air will occupy once outside the tire (and thus at 1 atm pressure).

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?