Heat Transfer in Copper Masses: 10kg/450K & 8kg/480K

• Thread starter Justhelp
  • Start date
In summary, heat is transferred from warm objects to cooler objects, regardless of mass or material. The lowest temperature possible is 0 Kelvin, as the universe does not allow temperatures to reach below this point. Heat transfer through vibrations between atoms is known as conduction or radiation, not convection.
Justhelp

Homework Statement

A 10kg copper mass at a temperature of 450 degrees K is pushed up against another copper mass of 8kg at a temperature of 480 degrees k. How will the heat be transferred?

I know it won't be transferred from hot to cold.. or would it be? does mass matter and or the material matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Heat flows from warm objects to cooler objects.

I have another question.

I don't think it will, but I don't fully understand your other question.

Question 2

The lowest temp. is?

0 degrees C

-273 degrees F

0 degrees K

32 degrees K

-100 degrees K

The internet tells me that 0 degrees celsius is the coldest and that 0 Kelvin is too...

One cannot get to or below 0 Kelvins, but as far as I know, that's the only actual limit the Universe imposes on temperature.

When heat is transferred by passing vibrations from one atom to another, it is called conduction or radiation? I know it's def. not convection.

Thank you

or is it convection?

1. What is heat transfer and how does it work in copper masses?

Heat transfer is the process of energy transfer from a hotter object to a colder object. In copper masses, this transfer occurs through the movement of electrons, which carry thermal energy from the hotter to the colder regions.

2. What is the significance of the mass and temperature in heat transfer for copper?

The mass and temperature of copper masses play a crucial role in determining the rate of heat transfer. A larger mass of copper will have a greater capacity to store thermal energy and a higher temperature difference between two masses will result in a faster rate of heat transfer.

3. How does the rate of heat transfer vary for a 10kg mass at 450K compared to an 8kg mass at 480K?

The rate of heat transfer will be higher for the 8kg mass at 480K compared to the 10kg mass at 450K. This is because the 8kg mass has a higher temperature difference of 30K, whereas the 10kg mass only has a difference of 20K.

4. What are some factors that can affect heat transfer in copper masses?

Some factors that can affect heat transfer in copper masses include the surface area, thermal conductivity of the material, temperature difference, and insulation. A larger surface area and higher thermal conductivity will result in a faster rate of heat transfer. On the other hand, insulation can slow down heat transfer by reducing the temperature difference between two masses.

5. How can heat transfer in copper masses be applied in real-world situations?

Heat transfer in copper masses has many practical applications, such as in heating and cooling systems, refrigerators, and cooking appliances. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of metals and in power generation. Understanding heat transfer in copper masses is essential for optimizing these processes and improving their efficiency.