Max Tension Force on Horizontal Rope Pulling 10kg Wood Sled

In summary, the question is asking for the largest tension force in the rope that will keep the box from slipping off the frictionless sled. To determine this, the coefficient of static friction between the box and sled must be known. If the tension force exceeds the maximum static friction force, the box will slide off. The equation for finding the tension force is F-F_f=m_{sled} a. Using the equation \frac{F-F_f}{F_f}=\frac{m_{sled}}{m_{box}}, the tension force can be calculated.
Comtrend
I have a question where a horizontal rope pulls on a 10kg wood sled over a frictionless surface. On that sled is a wood box. It is asking what the largest tension force in the rope would be where the box doesn't slip off.

Air resistance/Drag is neglected. Wouldn't the box remain on the sled indefinetely as long as it didn't accelerate to fast? If not then I would use the coefficient of static friction right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Comtrend said:
I have a question where a horizontal rope pulls on a 10kg wood sled over a frictionless surface. On that sled is a wood box. It is asking what the largest tesion force in the rope would be where the box doesn't slip off.

Air resistance/Drag is neglected. Wouldn't the box remain on the sled indefinetely as long as it didn't accelerate to fast? If not then I would use the coefficient of static friction right?
You would need to know the coefficient of static friction between the box and sled to find the maximum static friction force. That is the maximum force that the sled can apply to the box. If the tension exceeds that force, the box will slide off.

AM

Andrew is right, you need the frictional force between the sled and the box.

for the box:
[tex]F_f=m_{box} a[/tex]

and for the sled
[tex]F-F_f=m_{sled} a[/tex]

As we can see, we have 3 unknows and only 2 eqs. So you must provide some information about the friction at the contact surface.

I got 14.72N with a coefficient of static friction of 0.3. So is the Ff equal to the force of Tension because the sled is on a frictionless surface?

So then Tension equals 14.72N?

For force of friction for the box I used [tex]F_f=mN[/tex]

I don't know how to get mew so it is just an m.

The tension you need is [tex]F[/tex] (in my eqs). [tex]F_f[/tex] (the frictional force) and [tex]F[/tex] (the tension in the rope) are different.

You have to find F from the eq. below:
[tex]\frac{F-F_f}{F_f}=\frac{m_{sled}}{m_{box}}[/tex]
and you'll obtain the tension in the rope.

Related to Max Tension Force on Horizontal Rope Pulling 10kg Wood Sled

1. What is the maximum tension force that can be applied to a horizontal rope when pulling a 10kg wood sled?

The maximum tension force that can be applied to a horizontal rope when pulling a 10kg wood sled depends on a few factors such as the material and thickness of the rope, the friction between the rope and the surface it's being pulled on, and the strength of the person pulling the rope. However, in general, the maximum tension force would be around 100-200 Newtons.

2. How does the weight of the sled affect the maximum tension force on the rope?

The weight of the sled does not have a direct impact on the maximum tension force on the rope. However, a heavier sled will require more force to overcome the friction and move it, which in turn may increase the tension force on the rope.

3. Is there a difference in the maximum tension force if the rope is pulled on a flat surface versus an inclined surface?

Yes, there is a difference in the maximum tension force when pulling a rope on a flat surface versus an inclined surface. When pulling on an inclined surface, there is an additional component of the weight of the sled acting against the direction of the pull, which would require more tension force to overcome.

4. Can the maximum tension force on the rope be increased by using a thicker or stronger rope?

Yes, using a thicker or stronger rope can potentially increase the maximum tension force that can be applied. This is because a thicker or stronger rope would have a higher breaking strength and be able to withstand more tension force before breaking. However, other factors such as friction and the strength of the person pulling the rope also play a role.

5. How can the maximum tension force on the rope be calculated?

The maximum tension force on the rope can be calculated using the formula T = μmg, where T is the tension force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the sled, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. However, this is a simplified formula and the actual tension force may vary depending on other factors such as the angle of the pull and the strength of the person pulling the rope.