Tension and Torque homework challenge problem.

In summary, the pully has a moment of inertia of 0.5 kgm^2 and a radius of 0.3m. The pully rotates about a frictionless axle and has an acceleration of 4Kg and tensions T1 and T2 of 3 and 39.24, respectively.
Tlocc

Homework Statement

A 4KG mass is connected by a weightless cord to a 3 kg mass on a smooth surface. The pully rotates about a frictionless axle and has a moment of inertia of 0.5 kgm^2 and radius of 0.3m. Assuming that the cord does not slip on the pully, find a.) the acceleration of the two masses and b.) the tensions T1 and T2.

Click the image below to expand it to see what this looks like.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1032/47770145rn2.th.png

Homework Equations

T1=39.24-ma
T2=3a
Torque1=0.3T1
Torque2=0.3T2
I=mr^2
Torque=Parallel force x radius
Net Torque=Ialpha

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding the mass(M) of the pully.
0.5=0.09M
M=5.56
I then used the net torque equation, substituting a/r for alpha.
nettorque=1.67a
I then summed my torques to this.
torque1-torque2=1.67a
0.3T1-0.3T2=1.67a
0.3(T1-T2)=1.67a
T1-T2=5.56a
Next I substituted my tensions in.
(39.24-4a)-3a=5.56a
39.24=12.56a
3.12a

I figured that now I could substitute the acceleration back in my original tension equations to find the tensions.
T2=3(3.12)
T2=9.37
T1=39.24-12.48
T1=26.76

There is no answer in the back of the book for this one, and I want somebody to check(rather than skim) my work and tell me if I have come to the right conclusion. If not, please tell me what I have done wrong. It's important that I can do this kind of equation for this week's test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me except for this first step:
Tlocc said:
I started by finding the mass(M) of the pully.
0.5=0.09M
M=5.56
(1) You don't need the mass of the pulley, only the rotational inertia, which is given.
(2) Your equation for rotational inertia (I = mR^2) is incorrect; if you model the pulley as a uniform disk, I = 1/2mR^2.

Luckily, you made no further use of this calculation, so the rest of your work is fine.

Your answers are correct.

Thanks I'll found out later what the verdict is.

I was the only one in the class who got it right. Thanks for checking my work guys X)

1. What is tension and torque?

Tension and torque are both forces that act on an object. Tension is a force that pulls on an object, while torque is a force that causes an object to rotate around an axis.

2. How do you calculate tension and torque?

Tension can be calculated by using the equation T = F * L, where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and L is the length of the object. Torque can be calculated by using the equation τ = F * r, where τ is the torque, F is the applied force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What are some real-life examples of tension and torque?

Examples of tension include the force exerted on a rope when pulling it, the tension in a guitar string when plucked, and the tension in a bridge or suspension cables that hold up a weight. Examples of torque include the force applied by a wrench to turn a bolt, the rotational force of a spinning top, and the torque generated by a motor in a car.

4. How do tension and torque affect objects differently?

Tension and torque affect objects in different ways because they act on different parts of an object. Tension affects the entire object, while torque only affects the part of the object that is rotating around an axis. Tension can cause an object to stretch or compress, while torque can cause an object to rotate or twist.

5. What are the units of measurement for tension and torque?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). Torque is typically measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as Newton-meters (N-m) or foot-pounds (ft-lbs).