Tension in support cable. Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of tension in a support cable for a wrecking ball that is attached to a boom and a tractor. The angles between the support cable, boom, and horizontal are given and the goal is to find the tension in the cable and the force exerted on the lower end of the boom. The person is struggling with solving the problem and asks for assistance with a diagram.
Kelschul
Tension in support cable. Help!

A wrecking ball (weight = 4500 N) is supported by a boom, which may be assumed to be uniform and has a weight of 3610 N. As the drawing shows, a support cable runs from the top of the boom to the tractor. The angle between the support cable and the horizontal is 32°, and the angle between the boom and the horizontal is 48°. Find (a) the tension in the support cable and (b) the magnitude of the force exerted on the lower end of the boom by the hinge at point P.

I know I have to sum the torque about the hinge to solve for T, but I can't seem to get it right.

I also do not know how to do part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you perhaps show the diagram?

Hello,

I understand that you are having trouble solving for the tension in the support cable and the force exerted on the lower end of the boom. Let me try to help you with these calculations.

First, let's draw a free body diagram of the boom and the wrecking ball. We have the weight of the wrecking ball (4500 N) acting downwards at its center of mass, and the weight of the boom (3610 N) acting downwards at its center of mass. We also have the support cable pulling upwards at an angle of 32° from the horizontal, and the force exerted by the hinge at point P pushing upwards at an angle of 48° from the horizontal. These forces form a parallelogram, with the diagonal representing the resultant force acting on the lower end of the boom.

Now, let's sum the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions separately. In the horizontal direction, we have the horizontal component of the support cable (Tcos32°) and the horizontal component of the force exerted by the hinge (Fcos48°). These two forces must balance out the horizontal component of the weight of the wrecking ball (4500 Nsin90° = 0) and the horizontal component of the weight of the boom (3610 Nsin90° = 0). Therefore, we can write the following equation:

Tcos32° + Fcos48° = 0

In the vertical direction, we have the vertical component of the support cable (Tsin32°) and the vertical component of the force exerted by the hinge (Fsin48°). These two forces must balance out the vertical component of the weight of the wrecking ball (4500 Ncos90° = 4500 N) and the vertical component of the weight of the boom (3610 Ncos90° = 3610 N). Therefore, we can write the following equation:

Tsin32° + Fsin48° = 4500 N + 3610 N

Now, we can solve these two equations simultaneously to find the values of T and F. Once we have the value of T, we can use it to calculate the tension in the support cable, and the value of F can be used to find the magnitude of the force exerted by the hinge at point P.

I hope this explanation helps you to solve the problem. If you are still having trouble, please let me know and I would be

What is tension in support cable?

Tension in support cable refers to the amount of force or stress that is exerted on a cable used to support a structure. It is typically measured in units of pounds or Newtons.

Why is tension in support cable important?

Tension in support cable is important because it helps to ensure the stability and safety of a structure. If the tension is too low, the cable may not be able to support the weight of the structure. If the tension is too high, it may cause damage or failure of the cable.

What factors affect tension in support cable?

The tension in support cable can be affected by several factors including the weight of the structure being supported, the length and thickness of the cable, the angle at which the cable is attached, and external forces such as wind or seismic activity.

How is tension in support cable calculated?

Tension in support cable is typically calculated using the formula T= (W x L) / 2sinθ, where T is the tension, W is the weight of the structure, L is the length of the cable, and θ is the angle at which the cable is attached.

How can tension in support cable be adjusted?

To adjust tension in support cable, the length of the cable can be altered by adjusting the position of the attachment points. Additionally, adding or removing weight from the structure can also impact the tension in the cable.