Tension, mass, and velocity

In summary, the equation T = mg + ma is incorrect and should be either ∑ F = m√a or Fnet = ma. When using this equation, it is important to consider the y-components, including sign, of the tension and weight forces, as well as the y-component of acceleration. In this specific problem, the correct equation to use is T + ma = mg, resulting in a tension of 60N.
Gear2d

Homework Statement

I have a 12kg block that is raised by a rope. If the velocity of the mass is decreasing at a rate of 5 m/s^2, what is tension in the rope?

Homework Equations

T=mg
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution: T = mg+ ma = 180N

Book solution: T+ma = mg => 60N

I am confused as why you are subtracting here. I see that acceleration is in the downward direction (as stated by the question stem), but the object is still been raised. So shouldn't it be T = mg+ ma? Because to me, T+ma =mg looks like that acceleration of the mass is the upward direction (if that were the case the object would be increasing it speed not decreasing),

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gear2d,

Gear2d said:

Homework Statement

I have a 12kg block that is raised by a rope. If the velocity of the mass is decreasing at a rate of 5 m/s^2, what is tension in the rope?

Homework Equations

T=mg

This equation is not true.

F=ma

I think you might need to be a bit more careful with this equation. This equation should be either:

[tex]
\sum \vec F = m \vec a \mbox{ or } \vec F_{\rm net} = m\vec a
[/tex]

and when you actually use it here, for example in the [itex]y[/itex] direction, you get:

[tex]
\begin{align}
\sum F_y = m a_y\nonumber\\
F_{1y}+F_{2y} = m a_y\nonumber
\end{align}
[/tex]

since there are two forces. So what are the [itex]y[/itex]-components, including sign, of the tension and weight forces? And what is the [itex]y[/itex]-component of the acceleration? Those, with the correct sign, are what go into the force equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution: T = mg+ ma = 180N

Book solution: T+ma = mg => 60N

I am confused as why you are subtracting here. I see that acceleration is in the downward direction (as stated by the question stem), but the object is still been raised. So shouldn't it be T = mg+ ma? Because to me, T+ma =mg looks like that acceleration of the mass is the upward direction (if that were the case the object would be increasing it speed not decreasing),

and the tension and gravity are in the downward direction.

Your solution is correct. The book solution seems to have made a mistake in assuming that the acceleration is acting in the upward direction, which is not the case as stated in the question. The correct equation to use in this scenario would be T = mg + ma, where m is the mass of the block, g is the gravitational acceleration, and a is the acceleration in the downward direction. It is important to pay attention to the direction of acceleration in order to correctly determine the tension in the rope. Keep up the good work!

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled or stretched. It is a reaction force that is caused by an applied force acting in the opposite direction.

2. How does mass affect tension?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater the tension that is required to move or accelerate it. This is because mass is a measure of an object's resistance to change in motion.

3. What is the relationship between tension and velocity?

Tension and velocity are directly proportional. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, the tension required to move it also increases. This is because a higher velocity requires a greater force to overcome the object's inertia.

4. How does tension affect an object's motion?

Tension is a force that can either accelerate or decelerate an object. When tension is greater than the object's weight, it will accelerate in the direction of the tension force. When tension is less than the object's weight, it will decelerate in the opposite direction.

5. Can tension be used to calculate an object's mass or velocity?

No, tension alone cannot be used to calculate an object's mass or velocity. Other factors such as the object's acceleration, applied forces, and friction must also be taken into account for accurate calculations.