1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension of a string passing over a pulley

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2.50 kg object placed on a frictionless, horizontal table is connected to a string that passes over a pulley and then is fastened to a hanging 7.50 kg object, as in Figure P5.24. Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the two objects and the tension in the string.

Figure P5.24:http://www.webassign.net/pse/p5-24alt.gif

acceleration of 2.50 kg object

acceleration of 7.50 kg object

tension in string

well i figured out the second part that the acceleration is 7.35. i used the formula a=F/m. F= 9.8 X 7.5. however i tried to doing the same for the first 1 and it said the answer was wrong. i did a=F/m. F=2.5x9.8=24.5/2.5=9.8 which was wrong. also for the tension i can't figure it out until i find the a for first part. then i plan to use the formula...T=2m1m2/m+m2*9.8...would that be the right forumla?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since they are connected by a string, both masses have the same acceleration (in magnitude). Instead of plugging into a formula, apply basic principles. Analyze the forces on each mass and make use of Newton's 2nd law. You'll get two equations, which you can then solve to find the two unknowns: acceleration and tension.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?