1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension problem help

1. Jul 15, 2007 #1
    In Figure 5-50, three ballot boxes are connected by cords, one of which wraps over a pulley having negligible friction on its axle and negligible mass. The masses are mA = 28.0 kg, mB = 40.0 kg, mC = 22.0 kg.

Box A is on the table and B/C are hanging from the table from the pulley system. So B/C would be on the vertical

(a) When the assembly is released from rest, what is the tension in the cord that connects boxes B and C?

F=ma

I'm not really sure where to start for finding the tension between the 2 boxes. Any hints to get me started would be nice, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw free body diagrams of each block. Apply Newton 2 for each block. What can you say about the acceleration of each block?

4. Jul 15, 2007 #3
    I'm pretty sure I drew my free body diagrams right, but that leaves me with mg, T and a. of which I only know mg, so I don't really know how to figure out my tension or acceleration. I know that Acceleration is the same for all the blocks.

5. Jul 15, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have 3 fbd's, and 3 unknowns, the tension in the cable between block A and B, the tension in the cable between block B and C, and the acceleration. Solve for these values using 3 equations with 3 unknowns.

6. Jul 15, 2007 #5
    I don't know. I'm absolutely lost right now with these tension problems. I guess I'm going to go back and re-read the chapter to see if I can get a better understanding of it. the problem is that there is about 1/3 of a page on tension in the book. thanks for the help though.

7. Jul 15, 2007 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you come up with in your FBD's? Here's the bottom block C FBD: [tex]M_c(g) -T_c = M_c(a)[/tex]

8. Jul 15, 2007 #7
    - I had that for the block C, but I have 2 unknowns in that equation (a and T). The only other thing I could think of would be to figure out the equation for block B and then relate the 2 equations together. I'm just not sure how to set the equation up for block B since it's mass is larger than Block C.

9. Jul 16, 2007 #8

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw the FBD for block B and see what you get. You have 2 tension forces plus the block B weight, all acting on Block B. Tension forces always pull away from the object. Then draw the FBD of Block A. You will now have 3 equations with 3 unknowns, and the problem is solvable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?