Solving Rope Tension Problem w/ Friction & Variables m1, m2 & m3

In summary, the problem involves two boxes on a slope with a coefficient of friction of 0.1 and an angle of 30°. The requested information includes the acceleration of the system and the tension of the rope between m1 to m2 and between m2 to m3. To simplify the problem, the masses m1 and m2 can be combined into an equivalent mass M. Free body diagrams and Newton's second law can be used to solve the problem.
Hitchslaps

Homework Statement

The slop has friction.

Variables: m1=4kg , m2=2kg, m3=8kg
μ (coefficient) = 0.1
α=30°

1. What is the acceleration of the system?
2. Calculate the tension of the rope between m1 to m2 and between m2 to m3.

Homework Equations

Newton's second law and free body diagrams.

The Attempt at a Solution

Two boxes on a slope is new to me (I had experience with one so far). I'd appreciate any help, thank you.

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
To make things easier, you can replace m1 and m2 with an equivalent mass M (i.e. M = m1+m2). So now you have a two body problem which might be easier for you to handle. Then all you need to do is draw your free body diagrams.

Follow the hint given and use

F[itex]_{net}[/itex] = mass x a

for masses on the incline and for the hanging mass.

Related to Solving Rope Tension Problem w/ Friction & Variables m1, m2 & m3

1. What is the purpose of solving a rope tension problem with friction and variables m1, m2, and m3?

The purpose of solving a rope tension problem with friction and variables m1, m2, and m3 is to determine the forces acting on a rope system and how they affect the tension in the rope. This is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.

2. What are the variables m1, m2, and m3 in a rope tension problem?

m1, m2, and m3 represent the masses of different objects or bodies connected by a rope. These masses can be in contact with each other or be connected by a pulley system. They are important variables in calculating the tension in the rope.

3. How does friction affect the rope tension in a rope tension problem?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of objects in contact. In a rope tension problem, friction can affect the tension in the rope by either increasing or decreasing it depending on the direction of the frictional force. Friction can also cause the rope to stretch or deform, further affecting the tension.

4. What are the different methods for solving a rope tension problem with friction and variables m1, m2, and m3?

There are various methods for solving a rope tension problem with friction and variables m1, m2, and m3. These include using free body diagrams, Newton's laws of motion, and equations of equilibrium. Other methods include using trigonometry and vector analysis.

5. How can I check if my solution to a rope tension problem with friction and variables m1, m2, and m3 is correct?

To check the accuracy of your solution, you can compare the calculated tension values with the expected or theoretical values. You can also cross-check your calculations with different methods to ensure consistency. Additionally, you can use online calculators or ask for a second opinion from a peer or instructor.