Tension question Help, this homework is due midnight tonight

In summary: Ok. So the elevator is accelerating upwards at a rate of 9.8 m/s2. The mass of the passenger (3.3 kg) is trying to resist this acceleration, and the amount of force resisting the acceleration is called the tension in the cord. Unfortunately, my teacher didn't teach us how to calculate tension, so I'm not really sure what the answer is. But I'm pretty sure it's not zero!
pinkpanda02

Homework Statement

Ok. Well, my physics teacher has no idea what he's doing, so basically I'm lost too. This problem shouldn't be as hard as I'm making it, so obviously I'm overlooking something.

An elevator starts from rest with a constant upward acceleration and moves 1 m in the first 2 s. A passenger in the elevator is holding a 3.3 kg bundle at the end of a vertical cord. What is the tension in the cord as the elevator accelerates?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, pinkpanda02. First, we don't give out answers here on the PF. You are required to show your work first, and then we can offer tutorial advice to help you figure out the problem on your own. Second, we would encourage you to not wait until the last minute before asking for homework help. But that's probably pretty obvious to you right now.

Now, what are the kinematic equations of motion, and how do they apply to this problem? The acceleration of gravity and the acceleration of this elevator are constant, so you can use the simple algebraic forms of the kinematic equations of motion. Please list them, and start to describe how you would set up an equation to figure out the answer...

But see, this is the problem. I'm not sure what to do. My teacher doesn't explain this stuff to us at all. I asked him for help, and he even got the wrong answer! I just need to know how to solve it. No equations, just what to do. I certainly don't want the ansswer. I wouldn't learn if you gave it to me. :rolleyes:

From the elevator movement of 1m in the first 2 seconds, you calculate the upward acceleration of the car. Quiz Question -- which of the kinematic equations that I linked for you is the correct one to use?

And then you just add this acceleration to the acceleration of gravity (Quiz Question -- what is the value of the acceleration of gravity, commonly designated as "g"?), to get the total acceleration acting on the mass. Then use F=ma to calculate the total force. Please show your work if you have follow-up questions.

FAQ: Tension question Help, this homework is due midnight tonight

1. What is a tension question?

A tension question is a type of question that is designed to create a sense of discomfort or unease in the person being asked. It often involves a challenging or thought-provoking topic that may not have a clear answer.

2. How can I develop a tension question for my homework?

To develop a tension question, start by choosing a topic that is relevant to your homework assignment. Then, think about a specific aspect of that topic that is controversial or open to interpretation. Finally, craft a question that will make the reader think critically and consider different perspectives.

3. What is the purpose of a tension question in homework?

The purpose of a tension question in homework is to encourage critical thinking and engagement with the topic. It can also help to generate discussion and debate among classmates.

4. How can I effectively answer a tension question in my homework?

When answering a tension question in your homework, it is important to consider different perspectives and provide evidence to support your argument. It may also be helpful to acknowledge counterarguments and explain why you disagree with them.

5. Can you provide an example of a tension question for homework?

Sure, here's an example: "Should standardized testing be the primary measure of a student's academic success?" This question is open to interpretation and can lead to a discussion about the pros and cons of standardized testing and alternative ways to evaluate student achievement.