Discover Tension in Systems I and II: A Physics Homework Question

In summary, the tension in the cords holding the balls stationary in Systems I and II when both systems are at rest is equal. However, the mass of the larger ball is exactly twice the mass of the smaller ball.
antigen123

Homework Statement

PLEASE click on attached picture below:

What can be concluded about the tension in the cords holding the balls stationary in Systems I and II when both systems are at rest?

In both systems the mass of the larger ball M2 is exactly twice the mass of the smaller ball M1.Assume all cord lengths are equal (L1,L2,L3,L4). Assume both systems are at rest. Assume no frictional forces.

Homework Equations

Sum of forces=ma
T-mg=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

At looking at the picture I figured T2>T4 because the mass is twice as big. However what I don't understand is why T1=T3? I am completely lost and need a conceptual understanding of this.

side note: I did not use the Tensions equation because I think its more of a conceptual question however if it can be used please show me how to incorporate. Thank You in advance physics masters!

Attachments

• pendulum.png
    pendulum.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
At the conceptual level, the cord L1 doesn't 'know' about cord L2. As far as it is concerned, there's just some total system below it pulling down. What is the weight of that total system?
For the equations, you should write them out and post them. That's how this forum works.

I did write them down. However I am unsure how to use them exactly and need some help in this (T-mg=ma).

antigen123 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

At looking at the picture I figured T2>T4 because the mass is twice as big. However what I don't understand is why T1=T3? I am completely lost and need a conceptual understanding of this.

Consider the total weight that's below T1, and compare that with the total weight that's below T3. Are those total weights equal to each other, or is one greater than the other?

antigen123 said:
I did write them down. However I am unsure how to use them exactly and need some help in this (T-mg=ma).

If you want to work on this algebraically using symbols, that's certainly possible. Why don't you begin by showing us what you have so far? Label each of the masses and tension forces separately. You can also try drawing appropriate force diagrams.

1. What is tension in a system?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a system, typically through a string or rope, and acts to pull on both ends of the string in opposite directions.

2. How is tension calculated in a system?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, tension can also be calculated using the formula T = kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring.

3. What is the difference between tension in Systems I and II?

Tension in System I is the force applied by an external source, while tension in System II is the force exerted by the string or rope connecting two objects in the system. In System II, the tension force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on both ends of the string, while in System I, the external force may not be equal on both ends.

4. How does tension affect the motion of objects in a system?

Tension plays a crucial role in the motion of objects in a system. It can determine the direction and magnitude of an object's acceleration, and also affect the speed and trajectory of an object's motion. In systems with multiple objects, the tension forces can also impact the overall stability and equilibrium of the system.

5. What are some real-life examples of tension in systems?

Tension can be observed in many everyday situations, such as a person pulling a cart with a rope, a weight hanging from a spring, or a tightrope walker balancing on a rope. In engineering, tension is also a critical factor in the design and construction of bridges, cables, and other structures that rely on tension forces to maintain stability.