1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminal velocity in finite time

1. Apr 24, 2006 #1
    [tex]v^2 = \frac{mg}{k}(1 - e^{-2ky/m})[/tex]

As [itex]t \rightarrow \infty[/itex] and [itex]y \rightarrow \infty[/itex] we see [itex]TV = \sqrt{mg/k}[/itex]

And below my book reads: "From actual experience we know that a raindrop reaches its limiting velocity in a finite and not an infinite amount of time. This is because other factors also operate to slow the raindrop's velocity."

What are these factors? o:)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2006 #2
    I don't know what he would mean by this. The drag force is what's slowing down the raindrop, so friction can't be an answer. K depends on the geometry of the raindrop and the fluid. The K should change a small amount as the density of the fluid increases as the raindrop gets lower. But appart from that, I don't know. Maybe Clausius can tell us why.

4. Apr 24, 2006 #3

dav2008

Gold Member

Maybe the passage means that the fluctuations in the value of k as the object falls change the velocity more than the difference between v and vt

5. Apr 25, 2006 #4
    I think you're right because before he states some approximations so that air resistance is R = kv.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?