Terminal velocity of a rocket using dimensional analysis

In summary, this person is trying to find a formula for the terminal velocity of a rocket, but is getting confused because they have no physics background. They reach an equation of dimensional analysis, but are not sure how to solve for the coefficients. They are assisted by someone who tells them that the x, y, and z distances have different dimensions, and that the area is proportional to the product of the x, y, and z distances.
Enthu
I started taking MIT's online physics course a couple of days ago, and since I have no physics background at all, I'm getting a bit confused with dimensional analysis.
I'm trying to find a formula for the terminal velocity of a rocket, using air density ρ, gravity g, area of rocket affected by air A, mass m and the drag coefficient Cd. I have reached the following equation of dimensional analysis:
LT-1 = [M]V[itex]\cdot[/itex][LT-2]W[itex]\cdot[/itex][ML-3]X[itex]\cdot[/itex][L2]Y

I'm pretty sure that is completely wrong. I tried solving for the coefficients and ended up with V = 1 X = 1/2 W = 1 Y = 1/2, and I'm certain that is wrong as well.

Can somebody help me with this? I just can't seem to get a correct formula.
Also, as far as I understood it, from the equation above it is implied that mass should have no effect, but the actual formula for the terminal velocity of a rocket does have mass in it.

--this isn't a homework/coursework question, I'm doing this out of my own curiosity--

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have 4 variables and just 3 equations. Possible fix: Use the gravitational force of the rocket, m*g, as single variable.

Anyway:
Solving for M gives V=-X (note the sign).
Solving for T gives W=1/2
The equation for L is now 1=W-3X+2Y, which can be simplified to 1/2 = -3X+2Y.
If m and g can appear as m*g only, this implies V=W and therefore V=1/2, X=-1/2. This allows to determine Y=-1/2.

As final formula:
[tex]v \propto \sqrt{\frac{mg}{\rho A}}[/tex]

Ah, thanks. I get it now. Any idea how the actual formula got to [itex]v = \sqrt{\frac{mg}{\frac{1}{2}ρC_dA}}[/itex] (i.e. where's that 0.5 from)?

Enthu said:
Ah, thanks. I get it now. Any idea how the actual formula got to [itex]v = \sqrt{\frac{mg}{\frac{1}{2}ρC_dA}}[/itex] (i.e. where's that 0.5 from)?

That is the constant of proportionality.

If, for example,

[tex]v \propto \sqrt{\frac{mg}{C_d\rho A}}[/tex]

then to introduce an equality sign, we have to introduce a constant,

[tex]v = k \sqrt{\frac{mg}{C_d\rho A}}[/tex]

Usually, this constant is evaluated by experiments. In this particular case k came out to be [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] You cannot get it by dimensional analysis because the number has no dimension by itself.

Infinitum said:
That is the constant of proportionality.

If, for example,

[tex]v \propto \sqrt{\frac{mg}{C_d\rho A}}[/tex]

then to introduce an equality sign, we have to introduce a constant,

[tex]v = k \sqrt{\frac{mg}{C_d\rho A}}[/tex]

Usually, this constant is evaluated by experiments. In this particular case k came out to be [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] You cannot get it by dimensional analysis because the number has no dimension by itself.

Oh, that's something I must have missed going through my papers. Thanks.

I know this is not a "standard" analysis, but you can say that the x, y, and z distances have different dimensions. In other words, you have 5 fundamental variables m, t, Lx, Ly, and Lz. Then, assuming the z direction is the direction of motion (up):
[tex]v\propto L_z/t[/tex]
[tex]\rho\propto\frac{m}{L_x L_y L_z}[/tex]
[tex]g\propto L_z/t^2[/tex]
[tex]A\propto L_x L_y[/tex]
and you get
[tex]\frac{L_z}{t}\propto\left(m\right)^a\left(\frac{L_z}{t^2}\right)^b\left(\frac{m}{L_xL_yL_z}\right)^c\left(L_xL_y\right)^d[/tex]

You can solve to get a=b=1/2 and c=d=-1/2, and get [tex]v\propto\sqrt{\frac{m g}{A \rho}}[/tex] same as above. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis#Huntley.27s_extension:_directed_dimensions for an explanation of this refinement of dimensional analysis

(Note - the area is Lx Ly because the plane of the area is perpendicular to the direction of motion)

Last edited:

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can achieve when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It is reached when the force of gravity on the object is equal to the drag force of the fluid pushing against it.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

The terminal velocity of an object can be calculated using the formula Vt = √(2mg/ρACd), where Vt is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient. This equation can be derived using dimensional analysis.

3. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method for understanding and solving problems involving physical quantities and their units. It involves breaking down a problem into its fundamental dimensions (such as length, time, and mass) and using conversion factors to determine relationships between the different units.

4. How does dimensional analysis apply to terminal velocity?

Dimensional analysis is used to derive the formula for terminal velocity by equating the dimensions of the various variables in the problem. By ensuring that the dimensions on both sides of the equation are equal, we can determine the correct relationship between the variables and ultimately calculate the terminal velocity.

5. What are the factors that affect the terminal velocity of a rocket?

The terminal velocity of a rocket is affected by several factors, including its mass, cross-sectional area, drag coefficient, and the density and viscosity of the fluid it is falling through. Other factors such as air temperature, humidity, and air pressure can also have an impact on the terminal velocity.