Essential Aerodynamics Terms for Beginners

In summary, to understand aerodynamics, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in subjects such as statics, dynamics, linear algebra, calculus, fluid mechanics, and transport phenomena. Additional knowledge in areas such as differential equations, complex analysis, continuum mechanics, and computational physics can also be helpful. A good resource for learning the basics is the book "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by J.D. Anderson. Online resources, such as clicking on various links, can also provide a fun way to learn more about the subject.
yrjosmiel73
I want to start studying aerodynamics. To get me started, what are the basic terms that I need to know?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, if you have studied statics, dynamics, linear algebra, calculus, fluid mechanics, transport phenomena, introduction to differential equations, some complex analysis, continuum mechanics and computational physics (so basically the first year of physics or mechanical engineering at a university), then I don't think you need much more basic math and physics to understand any introduction to aerodynamics book. I recommend the books from J.D. Anderson, especially Fundamentals of Aerodynamics. Very well written.

Well, you start here and click on the different links which are basically the «basic terms» that you need to know. Hours of fun! :biggrin:

1. What is aerodynamics?

Aerodynamics is the study of how air moves around objects, such as airplanes, cars, and even birds. It involves the analysis of forces and motion related to air, such as lift, drag, and thrust.

2. What is lift?

Lift is the force that acts perpendicular to the direction of motion of an object, such as an airplane, as it moves through the air. It is generated by the difference in air pressure on the top and bottom of an object's wings or other surfaces.

3. What is drag?

Drag is the force that acts parallel to the direction of motion of an object, such as an airplane, as it moves through the air. It is caused by friction and pressure differences between the object and the air around it.

4. What is thrust?

Thrust is the force that moves an object forward, such as an airplane, by pushing it through the air. It is typically generated by engines or propellers.

5. What is angle of attack?

The angle of attack is the angle between the chord line of an airfoil (such as a wing) and the direction of the oncoming airflow. It is a key factor in determining the amount of lift generated, and is adjusted by pilots to control the lift and performance of their aircraft.