Terrorist Attack hits London, City on Alert

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, multiple bombs have gone off in London, with reports of fatalities and injuries. This is likely a terrorist attack.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000102&sid=azJATdGfpPRU&refer=uk [Broken]

This is a confirmed terrorist attack on London, multiple bombs have gone off targeting the infrastructure in London.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aye, shocking news.

Just heard a few eyewitness accounts on the radio, apparently it's a bit chaotic in London at the moment, but no signs of panic.

Last edited:
Could this because of London will become the host of Olympic 2012?

There speculating. Its only possible if bombs were also planted in France too for an attack on the winner.

Bush is here. How long before we declare war on someone?

Could it be the IRA? Someone was sayen the tactics are familiar to the IRA.

They probably already got President Bush airborne.

... someone finally got through the "radar" and wanted to time it "right" ? Oh hell :yuck: .

is this really a terrorist attack ?

how do we know for sure

marlon

7 bombs have gone off so far, pretty much has to be a terrorist attack

this does not look good !
i keep following it in the CNN website

marlon

Reports say that there's been an explosion on the Metropolitan Line between Liverpool Street and Aldgate, and further explosions have been reported at Aldgate East, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Russell Square and Moorgate. Two Underground trains have collided near King's Cross.

The entire tube network, and central buses have been closed, and hospitals have stopped accepting non-emergency casualties. No official reports of fatalities yet, but there have been several eyewitness accounts suggesting that there are several dead. It's not looking good.

A possible 8th explosion has been heard

Just spoken to one of my friends who's working on Edgware Road. She's ok, but heard the bomb and said it's utter chaos there.

:uhh:

This reminds me of that movie Dirty War

The BBC's Arab sources believe that these events have almost certainly been carried out by Al Qaeda, although no official speculation to the origins of the attacks has been made.

the AP just confirmed that Scotland Yard told Israeli intelligence that a terrorist attack was imminent minutes before the explosions happened.

indeed

marlon

the police have found indications for explosives

marlon

British Prime Minister Tony Blairs says there has been a series of "barbaric" terrorist attacks in London. Details soon

The official announcements (thus far) are SIX explosions: five on the underground, one on a bus. Haven't heard about the tube trains colliding - is there a source for this? Blair HAS announced that this is a terrorist attack, but he's prone to 'mistakes' so I'd wait for some (one with) intelligence. An Al-Qaeda splinter group is supposed to have claimed responsibility, but again such groups have previously claimed responsibility for other attacks they had nothing to do with, so that's not a trustworthy claim.

Such a shame: the city that teemed with over 2 million people protesting against the war in Iraq is now a target for other people most probably protesting against the same war.

My condolences to London and english people. I want to express my solidarity with them. Always there are poor and innocent people who is the target of these damn terrorists.

Although it is going to be shown with asteriscs:

These terrorists are all son's of a *****, **** them. They don't worth keep on living!.

El Hombre Invisible said:
Such a shame: the city that teemed with over 2 million people protesting against the war in Iraq is now a target for other people most probably protesting against the same war.

I do not think the same. I think the cause is the election of hosting the Olympic Games. The terrorists might want to show London is not a secure city if they want, and so ridiculizing Blair. If the cause would be the war, these bombings would have happened a lot of time ago.

As Madrid have been targetted in the past, your sentiments are no doubt sincerely appreciated. Just checked - it seems all my London-based friends are okay, though one friend was on the bus before the one that was bombed on the same route. Really makes you think.

Clausius2 said:
These terrorists are all son's of a *****, **** them. They don't worth keep on living!.

SECONDED

my condolences to London too

marlon

Clausius2 said:
I do not think the same. I think the cause is the election of hosting the Olympic Games. The terrorists might want to show London is not a secure city if they want, and so ridiculizing Blair. If the cause would be the war, these bombings would have happened a lot of time ago.
Even if 2012 was the reason for timing the attack, the motive for an attack at all is not going to be what amounts to an international sports day. The motive, most likely, will be Iraq. Personally I'd go with G8 as the reason for the timing, not the Olympics. The G8 summit has been known about for some time - the 2012 Olympics is too recent an announcement for an attack to be planned.

I am so sorry your country has had to endure this barbaric, cowardly form of attack. There is no excuse for harming your citizens.

Even if 2012 was the reason for timing the attack, the motive for an attack at all is not going to be what amounts to an international sports day. The motive, most likely, will be Iraq. Personally I'd go with G8 as the reason for the timing, not the Olympics. The G8 summit has been known about for some time - the 2012 Olympics is too recent an announcement for an attack to be planned.

Indeed, Blair seemed to have been sure that these attacks were intended to coincide with the opening of the G8 Summit. I doubt anybody would have gone to these extremes because of the Olympics decision.

I don't know. Maybe you're right. Let's wait a bit and see what say the english government. A terrible day. Now I heard the deaths could be near 50 persons (it has been said by the italian Internal affairs Minister) . In Madrid it was the same: every people said many less deaths just after the bombing than it really was when some hours passed. This number could be increased.

You have made a good point there. The result of who will host the Olympic 2012 is just roughly a day. Such few bombs attack in such a short time should have needed more time.

Really sick people :mad:. I'm not leaving the house today.

They say it had to have been planned for days so there's no way it was for the olympic decision unless they planted bombs in paris and london and maybe NYC which is just highly unlikely.

well, but we can also say that the news of Olympics 2012 made the bomb planning earlier than scheduled.

Personally I'd go with G8 as the reason for the timing, not the Olympics.
And there were 7 explosions, did the 8th not go off? makes you wonder..

Wow, 2 people dead. Why is this even making the news? Do you have any idea how frequently 2 people die just of natural causes in London? Every ten minutes.