Test Bench Setup Ideas: Get Expert Advice

In summary, when setting up a test bench, it is important to seek expert advice to ensure that you have all the necessary components and tools to accurately and efficiently test your equipment. This includes considering the size and layout of the bench, as well as having a variety of testing instruments and cables on hand. Additionally, it is crucial to have a clear understanding of the testing process and the specific requirements for each piece of equipment being tested. Seeking expert advice can help streamline the setup process and ensure accurate and reliable results.
mtb856
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into building a test bench in my garage, as currently my parts are strewn about my kitchen table and computer desk. I'm mainly going to be working with my Arduino and doing computer building/electrical repairs, maybe some PCB etching once I learn how.

So far I'm looking into an ATX power supply mod to give me +&- 12, +&-5V rails for my projects, some voltage/current gauges, an AC power strip, a large breadboard, and parts bins. I have a Fluke multimeter and scopemeter as well, but I'd like to invest in a full oscilloscope and signal generator at some point down the road.

As I'm not an expert hobbyist, I thought I should ask those with more experience for some insight into a good first garage test bench setup and any recommendations you might have.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd done a few searches for test benches, but I don't think I saw that thread. That should give me plenty of ideas, thanks!

mtb856 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking into building a test bench in my garage, as currently my parts are strewn about my kitchen table and computer desk. I'm mainly going to be working with my Arduino and doing computer building/electrical repairs, maybe some PCB etching once I learn how.

So far I'm looking into an ATX power supply mod to give me +&- 12, +&-5V rails for my projects, some voltage/current gauges, an AC power strip, a large breadboard, and parts bins. I have a Fluke multimeter and scopemeter as well, but I'd like to invest in a full oscilloscope and signal generator at some point down the road.

As I'm not an expert hobbyist, I thought I should ask those with more experience for some insight into a good first garage test bench setup and any recommendations you might have.

Thanks!

I don't know if we mention it in that thread, but if you are going to be soldering, it's a good idea to get yourself a solder fume fan/filter extractor unit:

http://tesco.scene7.com/is/image/tesco/270-1026_PI_1000005MN?wid=250&hei=250&$Detail$

270-1026_PI_1000005MN?wid=250&hei=250&$Detail$.jpg

BTW, if you do get into even small PCB etching projects, be sure to check out your local ordinances for hazardous waste disposal. PCB etching chemicals and waste products tend to be nasty...

Thanks berkeman, I hadn't even considered the solder fan...I really do need one of those.

As far as the etching, I've never tried it before but thought that it looked interesting. If it's really that hazardous, I may just keep buying regular boards and soldering wires.

-Aaron

There are also some pretty inexpensive PCB fab houses for small hobby runs. There have been some threads on that here in the EE forum as well. I'll see if I can find one...

I wasn't able to find the threads that I wanted, but I was able to find lots of links to inexpensive PCB fabrication services by doing a google search on Low Cost PCB Fabrication. You could try the same search to see the hit list.

This is one of the companies that we have talked about here on the PF before:

http://www.expresspcb.com/

Thanks Berkeman, I appreciate the help.

Related to Test Bench Setup Ideas: Get Expert Advice

What is a test bench setup?

A test bench setup is a physical or virtual environment that is used to test and evaluate the performance of electronic or mechanical components, systems, or devices. It typically includes a power supply, instrumentation, and other necessary equipment to simulate real-world conditions and collect data for analysis.

Why is it important to have a well-designed test bench setup?

A well-designed test bench setup is crucial for accurately assessing the functionality and performance of a component or system. It allows for controlled testing and eliminates potential variables that could affect the results. A poorly designed setup can lead to inaccurate or unreliable data, which can impact the overall product quality and development process.

What are some key factors to consider when designing a test bench setup?

Some important factors to consider when designing a test bench setup include the specific requirements and specifications of the component or system being tested, the type of testing being performed, the necessary equipment and instrumentation, and the environment in which the testing will take place. Other considerations may include safety, cost, and scalability.

How can I get expert advice on designing a test bench setup?

There are several ways to obtain expert advice on designing a test bench setup. You can consult with experienced engineers or technicians in your field, attend workshops or conferences, or reach out to manufacturers or suppliers of the components or equipment you will be testing. Additionally, there are online resources and forums where you can connect with other professionals and exchange ideas and advice.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when setting up a test bench?

Some common mistakes to avoid when setting up a test bench include using inadequate or incorrect equipment, not following safety protocols, not thoroughly understanding the testing requirements, and not properly documenting the setup and testing process. It is also essential to regularly maintain and calibrate your test bench setup to ensure accurate and reliable results.