Solve Test Questions for Final: Help Appreciated

• Thread starter MutTurwen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final Test
In summary, a place kicker must kick a football from a point 33.5 m from the goal, and the ball must clear the crossbar, which is 3.05 m high. When kicked, the ball leaves the ground with a speed of 19.5 m/s at an angle of 38.0° to the horizontal. The y-component of the ball's velocity as it reaches the crossbar is 9.49×10-1 m.
MutTurwen
I have some test questions that I got wrong that I need to know how to solve for the final. Any help would be appreciated.

1)A place kicker must kick a football from a point 33.5 m from the goal, and the ball must clear the crossbar, which is 3.05 m high. When kicked, the ball leaves the ground with a speed of 19.5 m/s at an angle of 38.0° to the horizontal.
a)By how much does the ball clear or fall short of clearing the crossbar? (Enter a positive value for clearance and a negative value for falling short.)

Do I use the equation Ymax=Voy^2/2a ? Because the correct answer should be -0.19 m

b)What is the y-component of the ball's velocity as it reaches the crossbar?

I figure I use Vf = Vi +a(2*distance)/(Vf +Vi) but I don’t know how to get distance from the first part to do this. The correct answer should be -9.38 m/s

2) A ball is projected horizontally from the edge of a table that is 1.08 m high, and it strikes the floor at a point 1.24 m from the base of the table.
a)What is the initial speed of the ball? 2.64 m/s

b)How high is the ball above the floor when its velocity vector makes a 47.6° angle with the horizontal?
6.53×10-1 m

I got part a) right by using t=sqRoot(2h/g) and d/t=v but I have no idea what to do with part b!

3) One of the fastest recorded pitches in major-league baseball, thrown by Nolan Ryan in 1974, was clocked at 100.8 mi/hr. If a pitch were thrown horizontally with this velocity, how far would the ball fall vertically by the time it reached a horizontal distance of 65.0 ft? (Neglect air resistance.)
9.49×10-1 m

I found time using the Kinematics equations then plugged it into y=.5at^2 but that doesn’t seem to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
For most of these questions, you have to separate the components of the displacement, velocity and acceleration in the x and y directions (ie horizontal and vertical) seperatley. Now it is important to remember that the acceleration in the y-direction will affect the velocity in the y-direction only.
Let's look at question 1 first.
The speed of the ball is given. What are it's components in the x&y directions? Can you find that out? Let them be [tex] v_x [/tex] and [tex] v_y [/tex] respectivley.

Then, look at motion in the x-direction. What is the acceleration in the x-direction? It is zero.
So the velocity in the x-direction is constant (is that clear?). Therefore the displacement of the ball as a function of time in the x-direction is given as
[tex] x=(v_x)(t) [/tex]

Now, look at the motion of the ball in the y-direction. The acceleration in the y-direction is g m/sec^2 downwards.
So the displacement of the ball as a function of time in the y-direction is given as
[tex] y=(v_y)(t) - 0.5gt^2 [/tex].
Also, when the ball falls on the ground again the y-displacement is zero. Put that in the above equation to get the time of flight.
Now the question asks for the horizontal position of the ball as the ball touches the ground. But you already know the horizontal displacement as a function of time! So plug in the value of time and you will know where the ball is when the ball hits the ground again. Is that clear?
Let's see you do the other questions now!

I'd start with the following equations

1)
a) h = h_0 + v_0y*t + 1/2at^2
b) v_y = v_0y + 1/2at^2

2)
a) h = h_0 + v_0*t + 1/2at^2
b) [tex]tan\alpha = \frac{v_y}{v_x}[/tex]

3) h = h_0 + v_0y*t + 1/2at^2

1. How do I approach solving test questions for a final?

When approaching test questions for a final, it is important to first review all the material covered in the course. This will help refresh your memory and identify any areas that may need more focus. Next, carefully read each question and make sure you understand what is being asked. Then, use a systematic approach to solve each question, such as working through the steps or using relevant formulas. Finally, double check your work and make sure to answer all parts of the question.

2. Can I use outside resources to help me solve test questions?

It is important to check with your instructor beforehand, but in most cases, using outside resources such as textbooks or notes is allowed during a final exam. However, it is important to only use these resources as a reference and not to rely on them too heavily. The purpose of a final exam is to test your knowledge and understanding of the material, not to simply regurgitate information from external sources.

3. How can I manage my time effectively during a final exam?

Time management is crucial during a final exam. It is recommended to first answer the questions you are most confident about, as this will help build your confidence and save time. Be sure to also budget your time wisely, allocating more time for questions that are worth more points. If you find yourself stuck on a question, move on and come back to it later. It is important to not spend too much time on one question and risk not having enough time to answer the rest.

4. What should I do if I don't know the answer to a test question?

If you encounter a question you do not know the answer to, do not panic. Take a deep breath and try to analyze the question. Sometimes, even if you don't know the exact answer, you may be able to make an educated guess based on the information provided. If possible, use any given hints or clues to help guide your answer. Remember, it is better to make an educated guess than to leave a question unanswered.

5. How can I avoid making careless mistakes while solving test questions?

Careless mistakes can significantly impact your grade on a final exam. To avoid making these mistakes, it is important to read each question carefully and fully understand what is being asked. It is also helpful to double check your work and make sure you have answered all parts of the question. Another tip is to show all of your work and calculations, as this can help catch any errors you may have made. Lastly, try to stay calm and focused during the exam to minimize any careless mistakes.