Testing a proportional relationship without a graph

In summary, the conversation discusses testing the suggestion that the speed of a water wave is related to water depth. The equation c ∝ d^1/2 is proposed and the individual suggests using collected data to find the constant k. The conversation also mentions the possibility of plotting a graph of c against d^1/2 to visually represent the relationship.
GandhiReborn

Homework Statement

Without a graph, test the suggestion that the speed, c, of the water wave is related to water depth, d, by:

c ∝ d^1/2

No other data is given, this is suppose to be collected by myself but I am revising for a practical exam paper without having the data given. Markscheme just says "suitable data evaluated twice; correct calc.s from correct depths; appropriate concl. drawn)

Homework Equations

As above

The Attempt at a Solution

Surely it's simply if c ∝ d^1/2, ∴ c=kd^1/2
∴ k = c/(d^1/2)

and then I'd use collected data to find k?

Can you please just say yes, or no and help me with what I have done?

Thank you very much! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are on the right track.
If you think about it you are actually calculating the gradient of a graph IF you did decide to plot a graph.
Can you see what graph you would plot IF you had been asked for a graphical method?

technician said:
I think you are on the right track.
If you think about it you are actually calculating the gradient of a graph IF you did decide to plot a graph.
Can you see what graph you would plot IF you had been asked for a graphical method?

Thank you. :) Yeah I'm pretty sure it'd be c against d^1/2, which if proportional should be a straight line through the origin right?

1. How do you test if a relationship is proportional without a graph?

To test if a relationship is proportional without a graph, you can use the formula y = kx, where y represents the dependent variable, x represents the independent variable, and k represents the constant of proportionality. If the values of y and x are directly proportional, the ratio of y to x will always be the same, and k will remain constant.

2. What is the constant of proportionality and how is it calculated?

The constant of proportionality, represented by the letter k, is the value that relates the dependent variable to the independent variable in a proportional relationship. It is calculated by dividing any pair of corresponding values of y and x in the equation y = kx.

3. Can a proportional relationship exist without a constant of proportionality?

No, a proportional relationship cannot exist without a constant of proportionality. The constant of proportionality is what determines the relationship between the dependent and independent variable, and without it, there is no way to accurately determine the relationship between the two variables.

4. What is the difference between a proportional relationship and a linear relationship?

A proportional relationship is a type of linear relationship where the ratio of the dependent variable to the independent variable remains constant. However, a linear relationship does not necessarily have a constant ratio and can have a variable rate of change.

5. How can you use a table of values to determine if a relationship is proportional?

To determine if a relationship is proportional using a table of values, you can calculate the ratio of the dependent variable to the independent variable for each pair of values. If the ratio is the same for each pair, the relationship is proportional. You can also plot the points on a graph and see if they form a straight line, which is another indication of a proportional relationship.